Thread: USA Spec. Carrera Values ('74 & '75)

USA Spec. Carrera Values ('74 & '75)

Can someone please help me understand why 1974 and 1975 US market carreras are skyrocketing in value??? Are they not otherwise mechanically identical to the standard US 911/911s? I understand that their production numbers were limited, but are flared fenders and minor trim differences really worth $30k+??? I can understand their European variants (because of their mechanical differences) commanding increased values, but the US cars are identically powered. And if this is the case, why isn't the 1975 Silver Anniversary car worth a fortune? I've noticed the "Weissach" edition cars command a slight premium, but even I can justify that based on their unique color schemes. Does this mean I should start collecting the 1988 Diamond Blue Signature edition cars or the 1989 Anniversary cars as well? Based on the value of these early carreras, I think I should! It just seems strange to me that you can find 1974 and 1975 911s all over the place for $10k, so what justifies this recent surge in one of the most "unloved" production cycles of the US 911?
    Doug
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan

1971 911t coupe
    silver/black

I have a '74 US carrera and my understanding is that the car is the same as the Euro. The only difference is the motor.

They also only produced 528 US versions.

So the US carrera's have same ducktail, RS flares, S brakes and so on etc...

Now my question is how many gulf Blues did they produced?

From what I have heard NO '74 Carrera in Gulf Blue was ever sold in Europe
    they were only sold in the US.

The Euro Carrera's were built with 2.7 RS MFI motors, those car have sky rocketed along w/ 73 RS prices. I wasn't aware the the US spec cars had risen that much.
    Phil

no doubt for the same reason that tulip bulb prices hot up in Holland some centuries ago...

as a market heats up more & more and becomes increasingly irrational, there are a greater number of people entering that market who know less about the commodity at issue...

Two words: chassis number.

A 911 is a 911 is a 911. But a Carrera, well, that's something special.

I try to think of things in these terms: My 1970 911T is waaaaaaay more badass than most of the 1973 911 RSs that are out there. It's got better parts, a bigger motor, blah blah blah. BUT, what a 73 RS has that my car will NEVER have is a CARRERA chassis number thus making even clapped out examples "worth more" (and I'm talking dollars and cents).

Not to mention the fact that the 74 and 75 cars are smog exempt in CA. That in and of itself makes the car more valuable.

I'm not agreeing with the recent surge in market values, I'm just illustrating why I think the values have increased.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Can you say......supply and demand. Works every time!!!!
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

Watch RS America prices. 701 built with maybe 10% of those destroyed through racing. They have already begun to move up in price,.....and still a great value!!!
    2004 GT3 Carrara White with a few mods...
    2011 987.2 Spyder White, LWB's, 6 speed... Crazy Fun!!!

R #208
    S #607
    A #76

It's why I bought a US Carrera Cup car, one of only 45.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Elford
    ....It just seems strange to me that you can find 1974 and 1975 911s all over the place for $10k, so what justifies this recent surge in one of the most "unloved" production cycles of the US 911?
    Really? I think it's hard to find a 1974 911S coupe. They only made around 1,300 (which is a lot less than other more popular models). There may be a lot of '75 911's around but it took me about a year to find my '74 S coupe.

And I love it just fine