Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust on 71T I looked at

Rust on 71T I looked at

I looked at a 71T sunroof Coupe today.

Car had rust on roof, behind sunroof....there was bubbling and one place there was a hole the size of tip of pen.

Question: If rust is here, how difficult to repair or replace? Bad sign for rest of car?

Other areas that needed attention were the door skins but two rust free doors are included. Also, the fender jams need replacement.

Door Jams, front wings, Spare wheel and battery boxes were all ok.

Any advise/info appreciated.

Thanks
    Derek
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe RHD - Blue

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    If water got in the inner roof structure, it's a bad sign and expensive repair to correct properly. Start by running a long wire down the sunfoof drains to see if they're open, and watch for rusty flakes coming out. I would want a good look at the package tray and inner C-pillar structures. Inspect as well as you can, at least press to make sure everything's firm. I'm sure the seller won't want you pulling off headliner material. Get a good PPI, maybe from an experienced body shop as well as mechanical.
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Also, undo the zip at the back and check the corners/edge of the sunroof tray. If the rear drain channels block the water sits in the back of the sunroof tray and then rusts out. Also check the rear parcel shelf. It's hard to fully check whist the car is together but signs of rust around the rear screen corners usually means more rust on the parcel shelf. Open the engine lid and put your figures up in the corners and feel/look for rust.

Not to worry you, but here is an example from a 72E I am working on.

"In the first picture you can see the extent of the bubbling on the paint work which you would see form the outside of the car, in this case the bubbling on the outside masks the true extent of rust on the inside. Porsche in there pearls of wisdom (not 100% positive what years they did this) stuffed the rear section (where the pen marks are) with padding, which simply retains any water which leaks past the screen rubber. Once leaked it starts to rust from the inside out.

Bubbling on the outside

Here is the extent of the rust from the inside

Stripped interior

Once the water is in the car it takes the easiest route and thus also starts to rust out the lower section of the shelf. In this case the major rusted areas follow the route of the water and has also rusted the lower section of the parcel shelf and also just above the right hand seat pan! The main wiring loom to the motor is also here which also traps dirt and moisture and thus may have rusted from below as well.

Main rusted areas

The “real” extent only shows up once the car is blasted. During the restoration of this 1972 E the rear screen corners will be re-made as will the required section of the parcel shelf. There are no repair panels available for these areas.

After cleaning/blasting

Working on this car has reinforced the fact that most LWB rear screen corners rot from the inside out and are also always worse on the LH side, I believe this is due to the rear screen demisting wires which make water penetration easier on the LH side. "

Alan

= parts car ??

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

That's cosmetic rust. That'll buff out.
    Really, that's an easy repair if you can find a good rear shelf.

Alan, hopefully the owner is going back to signal yellow?
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

.......scfanatic.....don't even go there....its already been confirmed as a silver repaint....its been that way longer that it was ever yellow...

So if our cars are so prone to rusting in that area what can be done to prevent this from ever happening? Should I drill weep holes in the underside from the engine bay? Ron
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Standing water in body panels is never a good thing, so anything you can do drain and ventilate the area is advisable next to preventing the water from getting in to the area in the first place. I noticed that once water gets into a trapped area, it steams up when hot and condenses on the highest area that it can get to. Once cooled, it drains back to the original puddle making somewhat of a miniture eco system. That's why the roof is so suceptable to rust.
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

silver911, looking at that rear shelf...it's like looking at the one I cut out of my car...signal yellow paint and all. Good luck with the repairs! I'm sure she's a beauty in signal yellow or silver!
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

scfanatic..

I have started a thread here to cover the whole process.....
    http://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15618

From where we are now the rear shelf is the worse area of damage....by rust that is and Barry, the guy doing the repairs is looking forward to getting his teeth stuck into it...