Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a high torque starter worth the expense

Darn..we put the engine in the wrong place!

Is a high torque starter worth the expense

Since the starter on my 69S is making a strange noise, I am thinking I will need to replace the starter. If I do this, is it worth the money to upgrade to a high torque starter? The standard starter at Pelican is about $100 plus core charge whereas the hi torque starter is about $250 plus a $85 core charge.

IMHO not in a 2 liter. Its a weight saving but also added stress on the ring.

I run one on my 3.2 no problems in over 10 years with it.
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

My answer is go for it. I have had one for 3 years and love it. The car starts with authority and has never let me down. It starts quick and is easy to install. My vote is yes.

Good luck.

Jim

When replacing a starter I would definitely go for it if for nothing less than the weight savings. Also, you may have misread the core charge as these are new starters so there should not be a core. I purchased mine from Zim's for around $250 and no core charge.

I wouldn't bother. You might "upgrade" from a Bosch 17X to a 68X (the X stands for Exchange rebuilt) for a horsepower increase while maintaining a virtually identical external appearance, but I doubt the high-torque one is necessary.

If you had a 10,3:1 906 engine my answer would be different.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

we have people here discussing two different starters:
    The "High Torque" starter is made by imi and is a japanese based unit with gear reduction adaptor for the 911/912. This unit is both lighter and certainly has proven to be more reliable than the oe bosch unit.

We have had quite a few clients that have had the oe bosch starter (even factory remanufactured ones) fail on a hot summer day or a long trip.

Yes, we know about the booster relay set up and clients wishing to keep the Bosch get that recommendation as well

The other high torque starter is indeed the SR 68X Bosch remanufactured 1.5 hp and unless you are running a lot of compression on your 2 liter, it is no better than the smaller oe unit in starting your car. It fails just as well !
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

What is the "booster relay"??

Also, what is the "added stress on the ring" that the Hitorque unit supposedly causes? Why does it put added stress on the ring?

the booster relay is a 25 amp bosch general purpose relay (or Ford starter relay). It is wired so the yellow trigger wire that normally energizes the starter solenoid is actually energizing the relay. The relay in turn shunts battery power from the main starter/battery lead to the starter solenoid.

Why do this? The yellow trigger wire builds up resistance over time and does not deliver the amperage needed to actuate the starter's solenoid.

i don't agree that a higher output starter wears out the ring gear prematurely. Very high compression, improper solenoid actuation, worn starter gear would contribute to premature wear
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

I swapped to the Japanese type recently when my Bosch failed some times during hot weather. With the high torque type the engine starts much faster compared to the 'slow' Bosch type, so this will reduce wear on the ring. Only the 'non original' sound of the high torque motor is quite strange.
    Swapping is an easy 20 minute job and you can keep the Bosch for originality.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Quote Originally Posted by 37yrold911
    What is the "booster relay"??
    Here's a Bosch-type relay I installed in the tunnel. Since the early ign. switches are NLA, I installed a remote starter switch for the crank position (this pole usually wears out first).

Sherwood
    http://members.rennlist.org/911pcars/RemoteStarter.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images