Thread: Help with numbers

Help with numbers

Could I ask for collective wisdom on this??

When we removed the dash pad from my car there is a number hand written underneath on the metal in yellow crayon.
    The crayon number matches with the number which is stamped in the metal in the centre of the lower dash (underneath the knee pad).

But
    It's nothing like the VIN number in the trunk or on the plate (those two match)

I have had a search through previous threads - Is the crayon number known as the 'production number' ?
    What is the significance/purpose of the production number
    I take it (and hope that) it's not meant to match the VIN.

Mine is a spring '72 car (I think!!!!)

Thanks all

You have discovered the production number
    Until about 1968 /69 it matched the chassis number.
    However post that it does not look anything like the chassis number but has a code of its own that can be deciphered and cross checked to a certain extent against the chassis number details.
    it tells you the (model) year the was made the TYPE of car and the numerical sequence the ORDER was sent to the production line to commence building that particular car out of all the other cars of that broad type in that model year.

For example:
    '1' is for 911

'0' is for coupe ('1' would be for a Targa and '2' would be a Karmann coupe)

'9' is for 1969, ('0' is for 1970; '1' for 1971; etc)

'1234' is for the 1234th 911 coupe ordered to be built in 1969 regardless of when it was finished or whether it was a T, E, or S and hence tha only cross checks with the chassis number is that it is a 911 (not 912) it is a 69 car and it is a coupe.

In my car's case it has the production number of 103 8915 ie the 8915th out of the 9447 911 coupes of all types built in 1973.

where the production number is very important is in spotting fakes of special cars. Give Porsche the chassis and production number and they can tell you if the match or not - obviously a non match would raise big questions.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Thanks Hugh.
    I feel better now..

Hugh, I should add mine is 1026063.
    So all's well...