Thread: SWB restoration questions

SWB restoration questions

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As I prepare for engine assembly there are a couple items remaining that I could use some help with.

The original fastening hardware was CAD plated. I may have found a local source for Cad, as opposed to zinc plating. However, the plater would like a sample. Can anyone snap a photograph of some ORIGINAL hardware, such as that at the bottom case parting line, from a '64-67 car? It would be a big help in getting the finish correct.

Final quesion. I believe the early Weber manifolds were plated as well. Can anyone confirm this? Looking at mine they are aluminum, but they appear to have a plating of silver cad as well.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

John
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

I know original is hard to find. And many cars are "restored" using nylock nuts instead of DIN 934. But I bet SOMEONE knows what I mean. . .

John, I'm sorry that I can't answer your question, but I just HAVE to know, what is the difference between Nylok and DIN 934? Thanks. Tom
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

John can you post a picture of the nut that has your quest is about?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 304065
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

The original fastening hardware was CAD plated. I may have found a local source for Cad, as opposed to zinc plating. However, the plater would like a sample. Can anyone snap a photograph of some ORIGINAL hardware, such as that at the bottom case parting line, from a '64-67 car? It would be a big help in getting the finish correct.
    John;
    i thought all '900' series fasteners to be yellow Cad. i don't know that there are different shades of yellow. I believe the "zinc" that you're referring to, as seen on earlier cars, is actually clear Cad. although there was some limited use of zinc.
    HTH
    best
    jerry

Correct bolts/nuts and colors

John,
    have you picked up a conversation with Paul Henninge. He is in the process of a real labor of love...the cataloging of the factory colors on as much of the early 9 series cars parts and hardware as possible. Some of the conversations with him have been real eye openers. Parts that I have just "asumed" were black were in fact grey, and after disecting 40 year joints and inner surfaces of rust and dirt his investigation is priceless.

Also: In looking at Paul Risinger's 1967 911S and the conversation of details, Paul had gone thru re-replaceing a number of bright polish siver zink to a satin silver zink so they would be closer to the "original". (It seems the concouring folks follow trends and fads too, so when going for a "Manhattan" back in the 1980's-90's a little bling was a good thing...)

Let us know what you find out. Thanks.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

John I have an early motor I will be disassembling in a few days if you want I can get you some pictures I can tell you they look dark grey. Probably were clear plated.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Hardware colors

John,
    here are two photos of Paul R's 1967 911S. The trans photo I took and Paul's car on a hoist was taken by someone else (I wish I could remember who so I could give proper credit).

It looks like the thru case bolts/nuts are gold? and almost everything else is gold cad....but this is a 1967...
    HTH
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Bob, I had a nice chat yesterday with Paul.

Here are the manifolds.

It's clearly a factory coating because it's underneath where the bracket mounts to hold the carburetor crossbar linkage. You can also clearly see that it was applied PRIOR to final machining- there's a clear line where the flanges were ground flat that doesn't have the coating present.

I think it's a conversion coating of some sort, like Alodine or Iridite, but the equivalent on magnesium.

Given the toxicity of chromate-based conversion coatings, I wonder what finish could be used to replicate it? I would powder-coat it but am concerned that the magnesium substrate isn't compatible with powder, although many have reported success with powder-coated fans.
    Attached Images Attached Images