Thread: Sunroof drive transmission worn out?

Sunroof drive transmission worn out?

I have tried cleaning and adjusting all the parts for my sunroof on my '68, but still have a very slow and noisy action. So far, I have done the following:
    • Replaced both sunroof cables and adjusted per spec
    • Cleaned the guide tracks
    • Replaced the rubber mounts for the motor
    • Verified 12 volts at the motor in both directions
    • Installed a new gear on the drive transmission
    • Checked the rubber drive coupler- it's fine

I think my drive transmission might just be worn out. It seems to spin freely when off the car, but I don't have another one to check. Can the transmission be disassembled and cleaned, lubed, etc.? I couldn't see how it might come apart and wanted to check before trying.

If mine is faulty, does anyone have an early transmission they would like to sell? The parts book shows '65-'68 with one part number and '69 on with a different number, but I'm not sure of the difference.

Thanks,

Mike
    1968 911 #11830241
    Early S Registry #810
    R Gruppe #461

They do wear out.....we fixed one a few years back but I can't recall exactly how.....I think we took another trans. apart and made one good one out of two. Adding shims to increase tension on the "slip clutch".

Sometimes the new cables have too much resistance.....or the old cables wore the trans. out......

Not sure how the early ones differ?.....this was a late 80's car.

Maybe Stoddard?
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

Hey Mike, Flat Six is correct, that you can add shims to get it to work better. The part #s changed but to me they look the same. Maybe a gear ratio change? Mine is 24:1 They all were made by Golde. I have an extra one but am not sure how well it works. Worst off you can use the shims out of it which are a weird size. PM with your address and I'll get it out to you. Whenever I see them on Ebay I get them. You might want to look for an extra motor as well. Not that you need one but a spare may come in handy.
    Rick
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

Quote Originally Posted by Flat Six, inc.
    They do wear out.....we fixed one a few years back but I can't recall exactly how.....I think we took another trans. apart and made one good one out of two. Adding shims to increase tension on the "slip clutch".

Sometimes the new cables have too much resistance.....or the old cables wore the trans. out......

Not sure how the early ones differ?.....this was a late 80's car.

Maybe Stoddard?
    Thanks for the reply, Aaron. Do you recall what is involved in taking one apart?

Mike
    1968 911 #11830241
    Early S Registry #810
    R Gruppe #461

Quote Originally Posted by rick2
    Hey Mike, Flat Six is correct, that you can add shims to get it to work better. The part #s changed but to me they look the same. Maybe a gear ratio change? Mine is 24:1 They all were made by Golde. I have an extra one but am not sure how well it works. Worst off you can use the shims out of it which are a weird size. PM with your address and I'll get it out to you. Whenever I see them on Ebay I get them. You might want to look for an extra motor as well. Not that you need one but a spare may come in handy.
    Rick
    Hey Rick,

I would really appreciate another one to try out. I will PM you my address.

Best regards,

Mike
    1968 911 #11830241
    Early S Registry #810
    R Gruppe #461

Did you unwind and remove all of the fuzzy fabric material out of the superseded 964 cables Porsche sells you now?
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Quote Originally Posted by tfiv
    Did you unwind and remove all of the fuzzy fabric material out of the superseded 964 cables Porsche sells you now?
    Yes, I did that last year when I installed the cables.

Thanks,

Mike
    1968 911 #11830241
    Early S Registry #810
    R Gruppe #461