Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '72 Owners with external oil filler

'72 Owners with external oil filler

Today, was the first time someone tried to put petrol in the external oil filler (even though I had opened the fuel cap in the front wing!). I had to tell them twice (and convince them) it was for oil and not petrol.

I have read stories about this - one of the main reasons Porsche moved it back to its original position. I never leave the car in for any work unless it is nearly full in case this happens.

Q: Does anyone have a lockable cap on their oil filter? Any other way of sign posting it that it is OIL only?

Thanks
    Derek
    '72 911E 2.4 Coupe RHD - Blue

Derek,

I believe there should be a sticker on the oil cap as well as the underside of the lid.
    Maybe these have been lost in time and distance on your car.
    I hope you suitably dealt with this person so as to help discontinue this assinine myth !!

Cheers,
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Easier to avoid this problem in the US as most of our fuel stations are "self serve".
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

LMFAO...nooooobody touches my car at a gas station. Golden rule #1.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

They would have to open the passenger door to release the lid catch.

I don't see that happening & don't think there s much to the rumor.

You can always leave the pass. door locked when gassing up.

The original 72 oil cap had "OIL" written on it in raised letters (NLA). Their was also an "oil" sticker on the inside of the flap, which you can find if you look hard.

Here's a picture of the oil cap daepp is referring to as well as the dipstick which is also clearly marked OIL.

I'm with 37yrold911. I think this rumor is a bit of urban legend. I'm sure some people have mistakenly filled the oil tank with gas over the years, but I don't think it was the reason that Porsche moved the filler back inside the engine bay. More likely it had to do with tightening safety standards.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

As I understand it, the tank was moved back because of Federal side-impact standards in the U.S. I guess the American authorities didn't think putting a tank of hot oil right next to the rear passenger was such a good idea.

The stories about gas getting put back there never made much sense to me. I can't imagine how a fuel station attendant would see fit to open the passenger door to go looking for a release for that flap.

I never did understand that urban legend where an attendant would open the release and start fuel flow. would they just open the passenger door and pull the release? how would they know to look there? did they not communicate with the driver? if they were knowledgeable enough to know the release was there would they not also know it was for oil.

were these urban legend victims little old ladies that did not know what fill release was for what themselves? doubt there were many little old ladies buying 911's in the early 70's, they were a pretty rare sighting in the US in those days..

Always wondered how these fills accidently happened but guess it was certainly possible that some young less skilled attendant and the confused new owner could set the chain of events in motion.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

The reason I always questioned this story is that for anyone who has ever dealt with a 72, there is no room for the pump nozzle in the oil filler throat. The dipstick - so long as it is present - blocks the opening almost completely.