Page 39 of 278 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139 ... LastLast

Thread: 911T Cars for Sale

Here Here! This job isnt all that, even with with the common..nearly fit repro panels!

Keep in mind that by the time a front pan is being replaced, there are often other issues (i.e., more rust) up front that need to be addressed. I've seen plenty of cars that also need the tank support, inner trunk structure, battery boxes and parts of the nose repaired. If a car has been bumped up front at some point in its life, this only adds to the potential issues. While a pan repair isn't building the space shuttle, you can't weld new metal to rust. I can't remember the last time I saw a "simple" pan replacement.

Thumbs up 1972T Targa - $25,000

*no affiliation* - posted on Samba - looking gr8!

"CALIFORNIA ONE YEAR ONLY WITH SIDE OIL FILL ...RARE CAR WAS IN STORAGE SINCE 1997 ACTUALLY HAS 72289 MILES ACCORDING TO FIRST OWNER...
    CAR HAS RECENTLY GONE THROUGH A COMPLETE SERVICE AND AND DRIVES AND SHIFTS THROUGH ALL 5 GEARS EXACTLY LIKE IT SHOULD MY MECHANIC WOULD BE MORE THAN HAPPY TO DISCUSS THIS CAR WITH YOU [ CAN GIVE HIS NUMBER UPON REQUEST ]
    ENGINE STILL HAS ALL THE PROPER MFI FUEL INJECTION

THIS IS NOT A RESTORED CAR STILL HAS ORIGINAL INTERIOR WHICH IS IN OUTSTANDING CONDITION FOR ITS AGE... VISORS ARE PERFECT ALONG WITH THE DOOR POCKETS [ LOOK AT THE PICTURES ]
    HAS ONE REPAINT AND THE PAINT IS PRISTINE
    SEAT BELTS WITH WORKING WARNING LIGHTS...OEM RADIO AND YES IT STILL WORKS
    DOOR STILL RETAIN THAT GREAT PORSCHE PING...FITMENT OF ALL BODY PANELS AND SEAMS ARE PERFECT
    TARGA TOP FITS GREAT WITH HARDLY A BIT OF WIND NOISE[ COULD USE NEW HEADLINER]
    DUAL BATTERIES
    THE ORIGINAL PANS BOTH FLOOR AND SUSPENSION SHOW NO SIGNS OF RUST OR REPAIRS
    OEM 6X15'' RESTORED ALLOYS
    2 STAGE REAR WINDOW DEFROSTER
    FULL OEM TOOL KIT WITH CORRECT SCREW DRIVER

FOREIGN BIDDERS I CAN ASSIST WITH TRANSPORTATION
    818 703 6584"

B.jpgA.jpg

Granted George

Quote Originally Posted by geshaghi View Post
    Keep in mind that by the time a front pan is being replaced, there are often other issues (i.e., more rust) up front that need to be addressed. I've seen plenty of cars that also need the tank support, inner trunk structure, battery boxes and parts of the nose repaired. If a car has been bumped up front at some point in its life, this only adds to the potential issues. While a pan repair isn't building the space shuttle, you can't weld new metal to rust. I can't remember the last time I saw a "simple" pan replacement.
    That isn't what our expert stated ....he only alluded to a "front pan" replacement. If, the other items were needed then it would mean more hours.

The caveat here is that body men don't demand $100-$185/pre-hour. A top body-man hourly rate can be $35-$60/per hr.

Moral of the story is that perspective restoring candidates should bifircate their repairs, by having a mechanic do just mechanical work, and bodymen do their craft exclusively. Many times this is NOT the case.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    The caveat here is that body men don't demand $100-$185/pre-hour. A top body-man hourly rate can be $35-$60/per hr.
    I have always wondered why the 22 year old mechanic who may have finished trade school and has a few years experience can be charged at $115/hr, while Kevin, who has 35 years of experience, most of it putting Porsches back together, has traditionally had a hard time charging more than $65/hr. But alas this is probably a topic for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisaa View Post
    Moral of the story is that prospective restoring candidates should bifurcate their repairs, by having a mechanic do just mechanical work, and bodymen do their craft exclusively. Many times this is NOT the case.
    Excellent advice.

You could have a mechanic tear into your suspension and then put the car on a trailer so it can be dragged to the body guy Or consider taking your car to a restoration shop rather than a mechanic and a body shop, many things get lost in translation between shops. Workers usually spread blame, things get missed without an overall supervisor watching ALL work.

We have gone way off topic, my point was a front pan that is done for $800-1000 at a retail outlet will most likely be shotty work at best, it takes a little effort and knowledge to get it right without detection. $4000 is up there and I would expect a front latch panel and some longs getting worked in for that, much more reconstruction. Keep in mind there is no way you can give an estimate to work on this board without seeing the car, especially if you are not doing the work yourself, its all guesses/assumptions/experiences listed here.

Picture below is a $2000 simple replacement pan but I would be happy to charge more
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by VintageExcellen; 10-03-2011 at 07:27 AM.

I've owned over 3 dozen 911s, and never bought one needing a front pan replacement, and never plan to do so. I avoid cars with front pan corrosion. When I visited my friend working on the front pan I referenced above, I was surprised to see how many places he had sectioned the pan stamping and fabricated strips to perfectly replicate the original part. The stamping as bought was off by 1/4" in several places. But it was the only replacement stamping available at the time (last year). The 60-hour+ job was front pan and gas tank support replacement (typically both are replaced). Nothing else. The result is undetectable, as I said. If someone can do it for less, great. Anyone can put any price they want on their work. Just pointing out that throwing a number out as a 'standard' r&r cost for chassis work for a pre-galvanized 911/12 is naive.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    I've owned over 3 dozen 911s, and never bought one needing a front pan replacement, and never plan to do so. I avoid cars with front pan corrosion. When I visited my friend working on the front pan I referenced above, I was surprised to see how many places he had sectioned the pan stamping and fabricated strips to perfectly replicate the original part. The stamping as bought was off by 1/4" in several places. But it was the only replacement stamping available at the time (last year). The 60-hour+ job was front pan and gas tank support replacement (typically both are replaced). Nothing else. The result is undetectable, as I said. If someone can do it for less, great. Anyone can put any price they want on their work. Just pointing out that throwing a number out as a 'standard' r&r cost for chassis work for a pre-galvanized 911/12 is naive.
    You characterize this ( pan replacement) to mean something like " leprosy". It's really not a big "deal breaker". I've seen many 73 RS's that when taken down to metal, are very scary. Much worse than replacing a front pan et:al.

If you're inferring that I'm naive, so be it. Labor is defined into hours. Good body men work on time ( hrs) & material. I will stand by the fact, that your friend got taken the river.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

The silver '72 on Samba is a color change from sepia. This explains the tan interior. No spare.

here's a beautiful 72 T Targa in original sepia with brown sport seats....nice!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-...item3cbcd57eee
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by EARLY911ZOO; 10-04-2011 at 05:50 AM.
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128