Thread: Distributor swap?

Distributor swap?

I picked up a '70T motor to run in my '66 until the original 2.0 is ready to go again. The T has a Marelli distributor with an NLA cap and a $200 rotor...ouch.

Will the Bosch distributor from the '66 2.0 work with the '70 2.2? The shaft length and gears appear to be identical.

The p/n's are:
    Marelli - S112BX
    Bosch - 02 31159 001

Thanks,
    Rich

Rich,

The advance curves are different. Your '159 distributor, unless it's been recently rebuilt, probably has worn pivots and springs, which will mean that it's giving too much advance across the range. At least both of my '159s do.

So will it fit? Yes, if you cruise on over to Pelican and search for user BlueSideUp you will see that he's doing exactly what you propose.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ight=cast+iron

But will it be OK? I wouldn't do it: the intake valve closing point for a 911t is earlier than the Solex cams, resulting in higher cylinder pressure. A more advanced curve than the T expects might be OK, but might contribute to detonation.

Good luck!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

find a later bosch (larger diameter outer shaft housing with cast in holder) distributor from a T. Take the older unit and the replacement to a machinist. When he is done, you will have the later housing distributor modified to fit your 2.2 case perfectly with the right curve (assuming it is in good condition and not worn out)
    Now you can buy inexpensive caps, points, rotors when you need one
    Member #755
    Conda Green 70 911S
    70 black 914-6 3.2
    70 911 "Speedster" project
    "74 IROC" tribute Jade Green RSR

Thanks guys...at least I have some options.

One more question, is the rest of the ignition system in the '66 compatable with the Marelli? Everything is stock '66.

Rich

Rich,

I doubt that the Marelli condenser will work. Its sizing depends on the point gap, which is different.

But this is a good time to convert to an MSD box or Bosch CDI. I posted how to hook up a Bosch CDI in a '66, with photos, here. http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=252299

Note that this circuit omits the Ballast resistor, which is the little square silver box. I don't know if an MSD 6AL is short enough to mount on the engine electrical console, but the Bosch unit certainly is.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen