Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S Sold For $90K+ in NY???

S Sold For $90K+ in NY???

Has anyone heard about the S (1973 I think) that sold for somewhere north of $90K in NY? It was at that dealer with the Greek sounding name - Tom Poupolous - or something like that. Sorry if I butchered the name. If that is the case on the sale price, then that has got to set a new high for S cars. When is the madness going to stop? I guess when the dollar gains some strength against the British Pound and the Euro. A 35% discount to Europeans is a lot of purchasing power here in the US.

I guess it just means that my cars are that much more valueable. Not that it matters since they are not for sale.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

$90k is no where near record highs for S's. There many for sale in Europe that are over $110k and these are for perfect restored cars. There very few all original, low mileage Concours S's out there and even fewer, if any, for sale currently. But if restored ones are going for way over a $100k and actually selling, what should a time-warp go for? I have heard of someone who was offered $120k about 2 years ago for his all-original tangerine 73'S coupe, but was declined!

That must be Auto Sport Design on Long Island.

Definitely not a record; there was a 4 digit mileage car that went for over $125K not too long ago. It was factory perfect...PERFECT.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

record

that would be a record,any details about the car?

I'm not sure why anyone cares. I don't post much on this forum but I've owned four really nice early cars over the years and I don't get the whole tracking of selling price thing.

There are great cars out there, the ones that trade hands with one phone call when money is not an object. There are ebay cars that are good, great, or cobbled together junk. Finally, there are fair deals that still come along.

I've sold two S's in the last couple of years. Both times I got more than I thought fair and (I think) both buyers thought they got the deal of the year. In my mind, it was fair for both of us.

Now I've got a really, really nice 70 E. I bought this car in some ways to get out of the whole S thing and in some ways because it's really great car that is in better shape than either of my S's were.

Guess what? I'm starting to get the same high offers for the E. Perhaps I'll need to buy a T or a 912. I just want a car that is fun to drive on the weekends and turns some heads when I go to pick up bagels for my family on Sunday mornings.

When I hear people comparing sales prices it just seems to be like discussing Rolex prices or name dropping from the party you were at on Friday night. I think it takes away from the fun and joy of owning an early Porsche.

Jess Wurmbrand

Bravo Jess!

Good post Jess.

When I drive my T no one says "I'll bet you wish that was an S", I just get the thumbs up or "nice car" compliments. And I do DRIVE it. No worries about it and I feel smarter every day for buying it rather than spending twice as much for an S. When I want an adrenaline rush I get on a 450 pound motorcycle with 100 horsepower.

Daron

True...

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Lazarus
    I was just told that one of our members moved a low mile 1973 911S for ................... $165K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Maybe the new owner will drive see a "Jazz" B-ball game.....( hint )
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

I think a 67S targa recently went for $120K.

Here's my current opinion of increasing values: I don't get a thrill from winding a watch, but I get one hell of a thrill from winding out the motor. For me, the "value" is intrinsic in vintage Porsches.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

I agree with all you guys about these cars. They are meant to be driven. Hey, I don't have an S and will most likely never own one. I love my T - she is just a sweetheart to drive and is a real looker as all early cars are. Lots of mileage and character, but a true survivor and no rust. She gives me a smile every time I drive her. And I too love the thumbs up that I get from people.

The only reason for my original post was to highlight the craziness that is going on out there. Esses for over a hundred? I just think this feeding frenzy is amusing to watch. Anybody who is a car enthusiast cannot help but be intrigued by car values, whether they are big buck Ferraris or rare American Muscle or Volkswagen Bugs. Price discussions for me are not like comparing the price of somebody's Rolex watch or name dropping at a party. It is a matter of curiosity and observation from the sidelines, nothing more nothing less. All of this high dollar stuff moves in an environment that I don't live anyway.

I think I'll go out and drive my car in the rain, winding that beautiful flat six to redline. See ya.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T