Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1965 911- in Stone Grey- any other 901's in this colour?

Hi Guys,

Sorry to disappoint, but mines not as exotic as Stone Gray. Mine's 6401 Slate grey. It is RHD though. I've gone through the records in the UK and there were 14 65MY cars sold in the UK, only 11 of these were RHD and there are only 3 that have survived. I'd like to get the information together to see how many RHD 65MY cars are left in the world. Is anyone else interested in the challenge?

Cheers
    David

Stone Grey and Slate Grey - different colours.

Here is my two owner factory RHD 18 000 mile-from-new 356 C.....it's 6401 Slate Grey. Yes, it's darker, the colours are quite different. It's a real "battleship" grey, a dark grey.

It too is Slate Grey with red leatherette, the same colour combo as the '65 911 you mention; I have that Original 911 book.

The 356 has oatmeal carpets, an option I've not seen early 911's with.

Oh, my 911 has a black leather gear boot, too.

Cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images  

My mistake to mix up slate and stone grey (and then there is dolhin grey and heron grey as well ..).

You have two nice and IMO rare cars.

Richard

I'm up for the RHD 901 challenge.

David- I'm up for the challenge.

Somewhere I've got some info gathered over many year and the super local club here has a list too. So we can cover off Australia/NZ.

I've owned my '65 car for about 16 years and have always thought of it as a "901".

Knowing the 901's were built c.1964, I've always, nonetheless, attributed the 901 tag to the rare '65 model-year, green instrument/wooden dash 2.0L SWB cars. It's this that sets them apart from the later, Typ 911 cars.

My view, anyway.

Cheers

Stew.

OK, here we go!

I think a lot of people are calling 65MY cars 901's. Rightly or wrongly they're the first model production spec.

This is what's left in the UK:

AFN Demo Car - Bali Blue with black interior, Production date Feb '65, very early (maybe first ever RHD) Chassis number 300474, registration number MMU911C

First customer car - Ivory white with black interior, production date July '65, chassis number 301929, registration number ANW104C

My car - (First car sold through Porsche cars GB) - Slate Grey with red interior, production date July '65, chassis number 301940, registration number LGK6D

There are more 65MY cars which have been imported, but to the best of my knowledge they're all LHD. The list of survivors above are what's left of the original sales.

It'll be great if there's a list of cars in Australia and New Zealand, we'll only have Japan and Malaysia to go I think. Anyone got a good contact there?

I do not want to hijack this thread but Stew, when you get a chance will your information on Autralia/NZ cover 66 as well as 65? I am still trying to trace the first RHD 67S (made late 66) to be left surviving down under.

David, there is South Africa and Hong Kong to name two more RHD markets.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

A couple of points.

Bill Block's car (thanks for the response BB) is slate grey not stone grey, so I've still not found another 901 painted in 5701 stone grey.

David, there are two early RHD 901's here to supplement your list. The other third car impored in '65 was apparenty destroyed in the '70's so this puts the known RHD 901's at 5 in total: 3 x GB and 2 x Aus: despite the fact that the factory confirmed with me that three of the first four RHD cars came here to Australia.

In addition to SA119 but not amongst the first four RHD cars is another 901 I've also owned. It was registered as a '65 car - another Aus Delivery 901 chassis 302 XXXsomething - it was a October build from memory, so may have been therefore a '66 MY car. Not sure about the cut off point on MY65/66. I'll dig up the Karex for the build date which I have a copy of somewhere. It was Aga Blue with tan, a lovely car.

I'm almost certain there were no NZ new delivered 901's, as the Aus concessionaire here Hamiltons was the NZ agent also, and I don't recollect any cars as having been sent to NZ. I know who to ask over there and will do so. Japan and Sth Africa, and Malaysia are also other potential RHD markets, the latter probably being a longshot.

Not sure about the '66/7 S's , but I'm working on these too. No hijack, it's all interesting research.

Cheers

SK

Wow, I thought there would have been more cars in Australia. I had figured that most had perished in the UK due to our LOVELY DRY climate! I hadn't factored on so few being sent to Australia in the first place. OK, so the current count is 5 cars, it's a very exclusive owners club at the moment. I'd also forgotten about Hong Kong and South Africa, I'm sure there will be a few more there.

I figure that the Stone Grey 901 in RHD has got to be unique. If you think about it, we're talking about a specification that was made for just over 12 months. From the records I have it's more likely 6 months in RHD format, then add the fact that it's a special order paint colour from the 50's. I can't see there being another.

I haven't managed to figure out exactly when the factory holiday happened in '65, and Bob Fleming has correctly pointed out that the cars were not always finished exactly in chassis number order, more so for RHD. I think the rough figure was considered to be around the 301950-302000ish. It would be nice to pin point this, but I think the info is going to be too sketchy.

Something else that was confirmed by Richard (304678) is that the engine cover recess (where the grill fits) on 65MY cars was painted satin black. Do you think that Stewart's car missed this because it was a special order paint, or is this another odd feature of some cars only?

Cheers
    David

Sorry, just noticed somthing else. The Aga blue car must be a 66 because isn't it a 66MY colour?

SC Kay was looking for another Stone grey early 911 a long time ago, but he could not find any. A friend of mine is the owner of 302268, this is also a stone grey. Nice extra is that it also is one of the first cars with a factory sunroof, since Porsche apparently started with this in the '66 modelyear. It's not matching numbers. I could ask if it is for sale.

Erik