Thread: Is this an S?

Is this an S?

I think it is but I'm not sure...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

The engine is a later T motor mag case etc.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

That rear wheel looks weird. Could be a LWB fender on a SWB car.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

The six digit VIN stamping does not have an S at the end of it so it looks to be a 67 911 normale.

I reckon that could well be an S. The VIN plate normally doesn't have the S stamped on it, it's only on the chassis stamping and the door hinge pillar plate. Is has S dash trim, rear arb, but you need to see the red line on the tacho, evidence of chrome trim on the door and rear quarter tops and a chrome surround to the door release button on the armrest. It shoul also have vented rotors fron and rear.
    Nick Moss - Early 911S #476 - RGruppe #318 - early911.co.uk

This is a real S...the front plate states "911S" and the VIN number on this plate does *not* have the S after it. Like Nick said it's only on the chassis and door plate.

The fact that it doesn't have the original engine with it negates all of its collector value though. Too bad these cars has so little value in the past that people bastardized them like that.

1967s

I concur with both Nick and 911E4Me the vin plate is the correct orientation. The upper left hand box is "Type 911S" (the S is a slighltly thicker stroke than the numbers). The six digit serial number is in the appropriate box (without a S suffix). This is the same as on my cars plate.

It looks like someone was taking this cars plate off and thought better of it (thank goodness) and an original rivet attachement is still on the right.

That original rear sway bar is a very good telltale. Seeing the rest of the S parts and numbers would be nice as a confirmation it's the real deal car. Seeing the tag and rear bar it gives the right clues that it is.

Pretty rough car, very similar to the one I'm working on, I had to remove SC flairs to return it to a narrow fender car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Not much S left there.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

The paint code also indicates Bahama Yellow, if I am reading it right. Based on the motor number it looks like it came from a 1970 Sportomatic.
    How much is the VIN worth?
    Keith E.
    Early 911S Registry #941
    1978 911SC Dirty Penny