Thread: For Sale 1973 911 T Targa

For Sale 1973 911 T Targa

1973 Porsche 911 T Targa 2.4L 157,682 miles originally German Car

This car has been my baby for 8 years. I never thought I would part with it but I have turned my car hobby towards racing and now run a Formula Ford. Racing is expensive so sacrifices have to be made. Not to mention somebody knocked up my wife (o.k. it was me), so another cutie that I want to have time to play with will be around soon.

This is not a concourse car. It is strong fun daily driver with visual blemishes. I am going to describe the car is as much detail as possible. But I will surely miss some points/faults. I will describe everything I consider significant and would ask about (as a buyer) if looking at the car. The car is currently on the road/registered and driven. I will take any detailed pictures you like and give detailed answers to your questions. I don’t want the buyer to be unsatisfied. It’s a great car and I want the right person to own it.

PROS-

2.4L motor starts right up every time.
    Runs smooth.
    It has a replaced galvanized center floor pan front to back
    Replaced front pan.
    Restored Gas tank with Eastwoods restoration
    Steel butt welded rear RS flares.
    Full steel rear RS bumper
    Steel front S bumper
    Fiberglass ducktail on steel lid
    Rebuilt tranny and motor with 7K miles on them since rebuild. Motor pulls nicely, tranny shifts great in all gears.
    Weber carbs with K&N filters.
    Stainless heater boxes/headers, one is SSI one is Dansk. Dansk did different sheetmetal design so they look a little different.
    Both headers have stainless O2 sensor bungs welded in.
    Clean and painted heater flapper boxes.
    Carrera pressure feed tensioner update
    MSD 6AL ignition.
    Ignition points upgrade to solid state Pertronix Ignitor.
    Bare metal glass out paint job in August 2000. Painted 2000 BMW arctic silver. It’s a very classic silver but since it is newer it is easy to get for touch ups. Paint is three stage (base, color, clear) Dupont "Concept" system.
    Great condition targa top skin. Inner targa top frame is great but paint is chipping.
    Power windows added.
    Wheels ( 7’s in front, 8’s in back) painted to match silver body color.
    New rear tires ( 500 miles on them).
    H4 headlights.
    Front oil lines, thermostat and trombone cooler included (not installed). Oil line has one patch on it where a bronze connection was damaged when it was removed. Car runs cool so I never installed it.
    Has German gauges, speedo is in Km/hr Odo is km

Cons -

When warm idling makes a quiet “puff” sound out of exhaust every so often. Most likely an idle rich condition
    Just coming off of idle carbs make “pop” sound out of stacks. Seems to be common with all Weber Porsches. Can be fixed with a good tune.
    Gasket on pass side exhaust valve cover leaks when motor is cooling down
    Paint has several blemishes now. Most could be fixed by a pro pretty easily. Not complicated since there is such a solid base to work on (three stage bare metal paint job).
    Biggest is front steel S bumper has patch of damage on left corner. Problem rooted in 3” by 3” fiberglass patch that cracked.
    There are two small cracks on the tail where the fiberglass tail meets the metal lid. They formed soon after the body work was completed and haven’t changed in 7 years.
    Cracks in paint on both rockers.
    On right fender there is an obvious touch up spot.
    Bottom sheetmetal (pass side) near torsion bar has rust.
    Some interior coverings are peeling here and there. Could be fixed with a weekend and bottle of 3M adhesive.
    Door seals do not fit well against Targa top.
    Seal between windshield top and Targa top leaks on drivers side. Seal has a split.
    Doors are from a mid 80’s car (why it has power windows). Drivers side door hinge mount point on chassis was modified. Would stop you from a concourse win but a very solid fix. This was required to get new door to fit. I guess factory jigs had changed that much over the years.
    Drivers seat has a hole in cloth (look below IMSA patch in picture)
    Car actually only has 57,862 miles. Was off road from mid 80’s till 99’. There was an error when put back on road in 99’. They added a “1” to mileage after converting km to miles. I can give details on story in an email. I never got motivated enough to pursue correction even though I had evidence of correct mileage. Don’t know if correction is possible at this point. Title is based on 157,862 mileage.

Feel free to email me at adam.bahret@vsea.com
    Attached Images Attached Images