Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weltmeister for a 901 ??

Weltmeister for a 901 ??

Just received a Welmeister short-throw shifter for my SWB. I know it's not a precision made kt, but there aren't that many options for the 901, unless you ready to spend a lot of $. What's everyone doing about the shorter length of the (W) shifter, and the lack of threads for the knob? Am I missing a piece? Thank you in advance.

Scope Creep Poster Child
    J-
    Can you use a crush sleeve with the threaded knob? As for the length, you just have to reach!
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Thanks Scott. I poured over old posts, looking both here and Pelican, and read quite a bit about the 915 version. (junk) I should have imagined that that the 901 version wouldn't be any better. OK, so I guess welding an extension on the (Welt.) shifter is the only way to go to recover the length. I'm not sure about the crush sleeve. Maybe that would work. I'm surprised that the shifter supplied doesn't have threads. I thought all 901's had screw-on knobs, but I guess not.

I know the 69 and up cars had the sleeve for the shift knob. But I'm curious why you think the 915 is junk? Needless to say, the Wevos, Rennshifts, and Hargett shifters are much better at a very high cost, but the 915 is still heads and shoulders better than the 901. The main problem I had with the 901 shifter in my 71S was that I had no clue what gear I was going into, especially when driving spiritedly. What I did, and suggest, is to get a 915 shifter body, a factory short shift kit for the 915, and the Senie Gate shifter kit. I have to say, once adjusted correctly, it's awesome. Nice crisp shifts, you know what gear you are in every time, and very confidence inspiring. It'll cost you less than half of these other shifters and it's an easy assembly. If you go on the Senie site, you can get tips on blue printing the 915 shifter making the action smoother. E-bay for the 915 housing and Facorty SS kit and the Senie kit from Pelican. I was able to build mine for about $250. Plus polishing up the aluminum housing really makes the unit look very cool, I didn't even bother to cover it up with a boot. The shifter length and position is like stock and everyone who drove my car with the new shifter are all converting their cars. So, not a lot of money, easy build and install, and not to knock the Weltmeister shifter, but it would be IMHO lightyears better since the W kit doesn't address shift gates, uses the same 901 base and would still provide a very indecisive and vauge shift. Good luck Allan.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1971 911S with Factory Recaro Sport Seats, 100% original, Bahia Red/Black

1974 914 2.0 Yellow/Black

2006 Cayman S Artic Silver/Terrecotta (Pending)

When you think in you're in full control, you're just not driving fast enough

Allan,
    I don't think I explained myself very well. I was referring to the Weltmeister product. All the info I was able to find on it suggests that it is not the best. As far as the 915 goes, that seemed to be the common view. The factory shift-kit got high marks. I didn't find too much info on the Weltmeister for 901's. That's why I posted. I like your idea of converting a 915 assembly for the early car. I didnt know it could be done, and the one in my 81' works quite well, even without a sift kit. Gotta love this place. I appreciate the info. Thank you

No problem, the 915 drops right in, same bolt holes, cup bushing, and everything else. The only difference is the shift pattern, your car has reverse left and up, the 915 has has it on the opposite side so the reverse lock out spring loading is on the wrong side for the 901 trans. The Seine gate shifter places the spring loading on both sides. So first is pull to the left past the spring tension and down, slide up and it "indexes" right into second, pull straight back for third, push right past the tension and up for fourth, and right and back for Fifth. You get use to it very quickly and will be able to do it without thinking after a few shifts. Highly recommended. If you click on the 1971 S link below, you can see all the nonsense that I get myself into. Good luck Allan

Allan,

Very nice re-build on your old car. I like the idea of using the modified 915 for the early car. I'm going to start loking for parts. In the meantime, I'm going to extend this Weltmeister lever a bit, and see how it works. I'll need all the practice I can get to tackle the 915 mod. What did you use to polish the aluninum? I've been working on a old set of Cal-Custom valve covers for a while, but can't seem to get it right. Thanks again for the advise on the shfter. I like the idea behind the 915, and I surely like the way my own 915 feels compared to the one in the early car.

I have a Baldor buffer with an anchored base in my basement. Took me about 10 minutes. But you can get the same results by hand, but it takes time. Before the Baldor, I used the Nuvit products made for aluminum aircraft skins at http://www.nuvitechemical.com/ . They have several grades of compounds from coarse to fine which you use to bring up that mirror finish. Something to do while watching mindless TV. Wet sanding with 1200 to knock down the surface a bit helps before trying to polish the part. I didn't mind doing the small parts by hand, but the larger parts was a PITA. I also use a buffing wheel for the aluminum tubs on my race cars. Inexpensive way to go would be to get a 6" buffing wheel with an arbor for an electric drill. Clamp the drill securely in a vise and you'll have a make shift buffer. Use the rouge for aluminum cutting and then finish off with white rouge to color the part to a mirror finish, the Nuvit stuff would work as well. Have fun, Allan

Hey, thanks Allan. I started with 220 grit/wet and worked up to 600. The part had some pretty deep scratches that I was trying to remove. I'll try the product you mention after going to 1200 grit, then use my buffing wheel.

6?' 303129

I have a Weltmeister on my 915 and its a quality made piece b ut it shifts like junk (IMHO). The geometry seems off and whilst the throws are indeed shorter the level of effort and clunkiness is not up comparable to the factory short shifter for the 915.

BTW, my opinion is based on my personal experienve with all new bushings, linkage and a fresh box. I have several thousand miles on the box and still don't like it.

Sherwoods kit is my ext step as with the WM is much harder to go 5th to 4th without feeling like (or actually) micking reverse.

There are other options for the 901 box. The 901 Shop make a great shifter for the 901 which looks stock but its longer (if you want it to be), much more positive and with a short throw. Bolt on, I use one on my race car and it went in to replace a FABCAR which was not as precise as this one.

Having said, anyone interested in a FABCAR for a 901/930 box.
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill