Thread: Removing paint tag assistance

Removing paint tag assistance

I am trying to remove a paint tag from my 72 silver parts car to send another member who just bought a silver 73 S, without the tag. Seems to be a delicate operation. I cant seem to find a thread that I feel sure is here, somewhere. Any help is much appreciated-Thanks-Bill
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

I assume you mean the metal tag on the drivers door jamb. It is held on with nails, not rivits, not screws, but nails. My guess is when these are installed they predrill the holes and then tap in the nails. The only way I have been able to remove them is to grind off the heads, and it is virtually impossible to not mar them a little, patience is required. I use an air powered 1/8th" die grinder with a VERY small ball end, about dental tool size. New plates and nails can be purchased from Stoddards or International Mercantile. Mercantile will even re-stamp your paint code for you.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

How much of a part's car is it? Can you cut the door post out then drive the "nails" out from the back side?
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Thats what I was thinking. The thing goes to the crusher soon. Hows everything up in Louisville? Did you tear into the T motor yet? Thanks-Bill
    Bill Woods
    S Registry #1005

Yeah I put it back together and put it in a 914-6 turned out to be a decent little motor
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

It's a very good motor...runs great!...and put to good use in an original 914-6 that will be on the market very soon after the Autum Derby...J
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Come on now I have to look at it and think about that car
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe