Thread: tire help

tire help

I've read the threads but the tires recommended are NLA. I have a 73S about to go back on the road after a long spell. It's an Italian delivery car and I have a good, accurate kardex that specifies Dunlop tires. Any recommendations for modern tire size and make that combines somewhat of an original stance, i.e. filling out the wheel well, and drivability? The car is original but for one resquirt and will not be on the track, road use only. TIA, Steve Shea

205/60/15's might fill out the wheel well a bit more. I ran those on my car before the RS conversion.

If you really want to go for delivery spec you should check some of the Vintage tires out there. I believe they were 5 1/2" J x 15 with 165HR15 tires?? Someone could/should correct me here. There are Vredestein at $89 from Coker or the Michelin XAS at $191 + tube.

Nice to see another member of the Shea tribe here

Eric Shea
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

Steve,

The original tires were 185 x 70's

The only 'bigger' contemporary tire that is a dead match in circumference is a 215 x 60 ...

They will work on a 6" wheel ...
    And will fit if your car is close to stock height.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Regis turd ab user
    Steve; Here's a couple of sources depending on your location and budget.
    I'm using the Vredestein Sprint Classic 185/70 on my 71' Targa, and I really like handling and the look.
    To me anything wider than a 195 on a 6" rim is chubby, I prefer stock.
    195/65 are really close diameter wise if you want modern and more choice.

http://www.universaltire.com/cart.ph...ategory_id=340
    http://www.britishwirewheel.com/
    http://store.coker.com/pages.php?pageid=4

Earlier this summer I put new Dunlops on my 72 S.
    I too wanted a more original look. I picked Dunlop SP Sport A2 Plus. 195/65/15 which is as close to original as I could find. They look/fit perfect and run great. My only complaint is the sidewall is a little busy looking. No big deal from two feet away but not as plain as an old Michelin or the original Dunlops. The tread looks like an older tire too. Some of the other modern tires look like they belong on a 997 Turbo, not an early S. I just checked Tirerack (where I got mine) and they don't list the same size anymore.
    monojohn
    72 911 S