Thread: Pan update

Suspension Pan update (title updated for clarity)

No pics at the moment but will add some this evening.

Old pan and the front foot or so of both lateral supports are removed. The lateral supports were easy to remove and worth the time/expense as i found additional acid damage on the driver side pan. It had been hiding beneath the lateral support and was terribly obvious once i had cleaned off the grime.

The good news is i just had to remove a few more inches of pan and that is fixed. In retrospect i should not have cut the replacement pan 'arms' short before i had removed the lateral supports but i lucked out in that i had enough of the replacement pan 'arms' length to correct the area. i certainly could have just welded the cutoff portion back to the replacement pan but the less welds the better IMO.

I also welded up some small areas where i overcut on removal of the pan/lateral supports.

I had been dreading grinding down the metal left at the spotwelds by the spotweld cutters (can you believe i went through 5 1/2 cutter heads!) with the grinding disc but it turns out the flapper disc wheels (80 grit is what i had handy) do a fantastic job, though they generate a LOT of heat (the burn on my knee from leaning against the bulkhead is pretty small and should heal okay ).

Pan is test fit and i need to do a bit more work to get the cuts to match up but things are moving quickly now.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

fearless

Erik, you are truly fearless.

Can't wait to see it, once its all done.

Karl.
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

Please post pics...

I'm getting ready to change out the floorpans in their entirety, on the Homemade 911.

I'd like to see some pics of what you've done,how you went about it, and what you wouldn't do next time around...In fact, PM me, and we can exchange phone #s or private email addresses. I'd like to hear all about your experiences...

What I'd like to do is:
    a). get my arms (and head) around this whole process, and
    b). document my own project with enough photos and intelligent writing in order to share and pass along to the rest of the early 911 world.

Cheers
    Thom

Homemade i'm doing the suspension pan, not the floor pans. Sorry if i was unclear.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

a few pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Erik

Early S # 1107

looks great!
    good job
    bob
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe