Thread: Advice from 356 guys

Advice from 356 guys

A dear family friend recently died. He left behind a pristine 1960 356 B cab to his son. The son took the car loaded with parts back to his home state. What the son didn't want he left to his mother to dispose. She knows I am into 70s cars and brought me a box of parts to see if I could sell them for her (yes - commerce ). I agreed, but have no knowledge of values for 356 parts. Examples are pristine front and rear lights and surrounds, interior rear view mirror, speedo, headlights, leather seating surfaces - brand new, never installed, bumper guards, and more. What are your recommendations for getting a fair price? Sell as a lot, sell individually on the 356 registry to the highest bidder or evil Bay or ??????

Appreciate your help,

Rick
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Rick,

This place is fine for now as long as the responses are to answer your question about the general disposition of your friends parts....

As soon as there's any discussion of the parts themselves, I would like you to please take it over to the Classified Parts .......

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

You bet Chuck. Just looking for general advice on how to handle. Thanks!
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Rick,

I would guess that you would have to set a price to go to the 356 talk list, I'm on it, and there was recently a discussion on just this topic. Most listers want a crack at it before it goes to ebay, but you need to know the price first. On the other hand, you should also let them know about the various items as you post them to ebay, give them the link.

I would certainly sell them as individual items rather than as a bulk lot. You will certainly realize more $$ that way.

Gary Emory is going to be at my campout over Sept 15th and 16th, and they are always looking for nice parts for restorations in his shop (he has lots of stock but NOS stuff is still hard to find). If you're coming you can ask his opinion (there's a sticky on my campout over on the events page).

You can possibly get an idea of some prices from the NLA catalog as well, and closed ebay auctions.

regards,
    Eric