Thread: Sun Visor Dilema

Scope Creep Poster Child

Sun Visor Dilema

I have just finished installing a new black headliner in my '70E, and have now realized that my black on one side/ivory on the other sunvisors are not going to look good up there against the black headliner. My sunvisors are original, and amazingly, not puffy like most are. Should I attempt to dye or paint the ivory side, or would the correct thing to do be to sell them or trade for visors that are black on both sides? Are they too rare to modify? They are certainly not perfect. The ivory looks a little dingy, but they are relatively flat, and the black side certainly looks very good. What is the right thing to do. Aside from the color, I would like to retain period correct parts. What is the best way to change the ivory to black?

Thanks,
    -Scott
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

What are you doing with the rest of the car? Mainly stock look or playin it up a bit? I'd stash them personally and get another set of all blacks to put in. If they are original and flat like a 19 yr olds tum then definitely don't try to dye them.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Michael-
    The car is intended to have a sports-purpose character, with a 380mm/hockey puck wheel, 10,000 RPM tach, black perlon, rear seat delete, and period-correct Scheel reclining seats. I've worked pretty hard to only make period-correct changes. I had to push myself to do the black headliner, but thought that it was a much better choice than ivory for a burgundy car. This makes me reticent to consider modern (964) sun visors, which are the only ones I know of available as new. Your was what I was looking for. It sounds like I need to find some early, all black, sun visors.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    I'm not quite sure what you have against Ivory. Not only does it look great against Burgundy, it's a perfect contrast against black. I'd leave the visors as is.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Sandy-
    I have found that black picks up the richness of burgundy, while light colors tend to pick up the color's less appealing qualities. I will, however, put the visors up against the headliner and see what it looks like.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Scott

the all black ones are available but your white/black are NLA. if nice condition they would command a good price on the board and you can buy replacement with all black ones to match your headliner.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clarke
    Sandy-
    I have found that black picks up the richness of burgundy.
    Quite agree with ya there!

If you're not looking back then boxter's on the tip. Sell the originals and buy all blacks. I don't think having that one little spash of Ivory is going to look good with the rest of your black interior.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Scope Creep Poster Child
    What year of visors were all black, but otherwise similar to the ones I have? What are the differences with the >'74 visors?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

The LWB targas were all black going back to 69 and the repo's are all black so no problem getting all black it is the original black/white thats worth something if in good shape.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser