Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a 1966 912 a suitable platform for a hot rod/rgruppe type of transformation?

Is a 1966 912 a suitable platform for a hot rod/rgruppe type of transformation?

Sparing everyone from the super-long GT3 vs. early hot rod thread, I wanted to post this separate. A scenario that I am now toying with is the idea of keeping my 993 S and transforming my 66 912 into a hot rod. I am not capable of doing this work myself (especially cosmetic), so I would take it to a restoration/race shop to do the work (probably aircooled classics in tennessee).

My 66 912 is a black plate Texas car with virtually no rust at all, totally straight, no accidents, completely unmolested, etc. As a SWB donor, would there be any specific reason to not use a 912, assuming that most of the donor car will be swapped out anyway? Just curious for opinions on this.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrichel
    As a SWB donor, would there be any specific reason to not use a 912, assuming that most of the donor car will be swapped out anyway?
    yes, IMO, there is a reason not to do it. it sounds like a nice car already. hot-rod the 912 (sleeper style) and leave it a 912.

i doubt you'd be saving much $$ starting with a 912 donor anyways. at least not in respect to what you'd be spending.

edit:
    just noticed you didn't say that you intended to put a 6 in there. i assumed that was your intention.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

yes, it would absolutely be my intention to put a 6- in the car...

so your suggestion is to just change out major mechanicals, rebadge it as a 911, but not to go too down the path of full recreation...(?)

thanks

The valuation and scarcity of a rust free, black-plate car makes it worth it to consider a different donor chassis.

To do it correctly you will change everything anyway--

fenders

hood

doors

engine lid

roof (have to cut the roof off to weld the top of the cage and a fiberglass
    roof without rain gutters is lighter and has better aero)

quarters (911R are flared and you need the oil door)

rust repair and structural reinforcement of the chassis- torsion tube brace, etc.

It's a common mod to cut out the rear seat area to allow access to the front of the engine-- a aluminum panel is fabricated and fastened with Dzus fasteners to act as a firewall.

Some even change the floors in search of lightness.

The pile of leftover parts would look a lot like a complete 912!

Now, if you are racing vintage, you can't use a 912 anyway, so the real question becomes, what race venue? For certain groups you have to stick with torsion bars so that means a torsion bar chassis.

There are plenty of inexpensive SWB cars that "didn't make it" as restoration candidates that could provide a basis for an R-clone. Cutting up one in good shape probably doesn't make sense given everything that gets discarded.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

my opinion (and it's not my car of course) is that you leave the 4 in it and love it as a 912. trick out the motor or whatever (see the 'cal look vw' thread) but don't be ashamed of a 912.

for a 911 hotrod i'd start with a 911.
    Erik

Early S # 1107

All my german equipment is either busted or sold...sigh....in the market for a decent non-sunroof tub!!!!!!! Help me get back to autocrossing!!!

My 2c

If your 912 is numbers matching, and as straight as you say, you may
    want to leave it alone. Get yourself another 912 to build up. You may also want to consider a LWB car. Suspension parts are cheaper, as are most other mechanicals. My car started life as a 912 but was converted 20 or so years ago. The only thing keeping me from flaring it is the body is so straight, I hate to chop it up, besides I really like the narrow look.

Best o' luck
    Dave
    911S registry #1103
    R-Gruppe #513
    1967 912 converted to 2.2
    Period Dune Buggy

Some drive Porsches' to be seen.....
    I prefer it when nobodys looking.

absolutely a numbers matching car...wish i knew how to size pictures better
    Attached Images Attached Images      

That is a beautiful 912! I have gone down the road of making an R inspired car (not clone) w/ my 68 912. I have kept it a 4 but utilized a type 4 (912E/914 case and heads) and have bumped it up to 2.3L There is a lot you can do w/ a type 4, keeping the weight distribution the about the same. I'm sure there are some here and on the 912bbs that frown on my build but there is nothing that i have done (stroked motor/SC front end/elephants bushings/Wevo/Vintage RS seat/yada yada) that can not be reversed. I have kept all the bits (616 motor/seats/suspension) should i decide to sell or go back to stock. Now had my 912 been as clean, that would have made the decision to modify much harder. You are welcome to PM or email me w/ questions if you'd like.

cheers,
    Ron

"there is nothing that i have done that can not be reversed."

There is your answer, right there.

Having both early cars in my stable they are both fun in their own way. That 912 looks too nice to butcher!! Sell the 912(I know someone looking for that color combo). There are plenty of bastered 911's out there to fondle with. My 912 is very stock and fun driving with it's peppy 616/36. Heck, I can out handle most SWB stock 911's anyway.

Who says you can't vintage race with a 912??

Steve Var.