Thread: To get a COA or not to get a COA

To get a COA or not to get a COA

To get a COA or not to get a COA

In a most recent COA problem thread a few board members made reference to another (European) source that has access factory records. I don’t mind spending a little money on quality information. I just don’t want to call around trying to fix a COA and then in the end still wonder if the information is true or not. I have also heard that the factory still keeps tight grips on this kind of information because of German privacy laws. I can’t even waste a trip the Germany on this?

If anyone can PM me some under the table info on my car or some contacts I would certainly appreciate it. Numbers are on the "E" site—link below.
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

I hear if you speak to the US contact lady they pretty much will take what you say is on the car and enter it into your COA. not sure if that is true but not a very good system if so.
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

What I have done on 3 different early Porsches is send a email(VIN) to the head of the workshop at the official Porsche importer and dealer in Norway, Auto Zentrum Sport. He contacts the factory and they return it to him with all the details, then he emails it to me. I have done this both on my US 71 and my Euro 73.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931
    --------------------------------
    1971 911 2.2S Coupe Albert Blue
    1971 911 2.2T Coupe Tangerine
    2005 997 C2S Coupe special 1965 slate grey
    1978 911 3.0 SC Targa Silver w/chrome trim

I have PM'd the info from the factory on your car.

This door to the factory records seems to be closing, and to keep a small gap open for future projects I am sorry that I can not help others.

John
    Early 911S Registry #931

This door to the factory records seems to be closing,
    That is definitely true ..

Get the original Kardexes while it last! The global policy will become that you have to pay for the factory information, like the COA in the US.

Richard

"I hear if you speak to the US contact lady they pretty much will take what you say is on the car and enter it into your COA. not sure if that is true but not a very good system if so."

That's not entirely accurate, at least based on my personal experience. It's based on what codes she shows for your car, and then primarily YOU trying to figure out what those codes mean. If you can back it up - and she shows the codes for your car - then they'll be listed. For example, my 53,000 mile survivor car came equipped with a factory LSD. There is no question about this, as it still has it and there was one registered owner of the car prior to me - he owned it for 30 years - and was very proud of the fact that he ordered it with one. But because she doesn't show it, it can't go on the COA. I understand her position on this.

It's mostly about removing completely inaccurate information that wasn't even available when you car was new, and determining what those codes mean. It took 1 year (after receiving the original COA) to get mine cleared up. She is polite, and completely non-responsive. It's not her fault that Porsche changed the meaning of different codes over the years (I can forgive that), but her lack of ownership/responsiveness is pathetic.

My two cents? Get one if it means a lot to you, but be prepared for a hassle. They are also ridiculously overpriced. VW quickly sent me one for my '67 Bug that was accurate, reasonably detailed, and free. And they made just a few more Beetles in '67 than they did 911s in 1971

My 1.5 cents.

John

Wink fee.....

Personally, I would prefer to pay a fee and get a "professional" and reliable response, rather than have to ask for a huge favor and not knowing if and when they will reply....

With the opening of the new Museum, this will hopefully be the case, and the process will be more transparent....will they do the same with classic parts?

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Well in this case I can guarantee that the info is straight from the factory records and it is free. I would much rather have that then a COA from PCA with all the faults that has been documented, and it expencive. Soon we might not have a choice anymore.

J
    Early 911S Registry #931

Quote Originally Posted by Zithlord
    I would much rather have that then a COA from PCA with all the faults that has been documented, and it expencive.
    I guess that was the point of this thread. Does this solidify the factory's neglect for the historical/restoration community (more so in the US; I assume)?
    Why pay for errors; when the truth is free....

P.S.

ZITHLORD IS THE BEST!!!!
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

how does one get a COA from the factory?