Thread: SWB Single Fuse Box Headlight Relay Diagram

SWB Single Fuse Box Headlight Relay Diagram

SWB Single Fuse Box Headlight Relay Diagram

Wanted

I am looking for a detailed wiring diagram for the installation of relays to protect the high/low beam switch when installing H4 headlights. There seems to be plenty of LWB and mid-year on diagrams but I can’t find one specifically for the SWB single fuse box cars. I have looked at the kits generally available but again the designs are for later models. It would be great if the design was reversible and looked relatively stock. It does not need to include completely new headlight wiring.

It seems that it is also desirable to have the low beams on at the same time as the high beams to “fill” in given the pinpoint focus of the H4 high beam. Any opinions on this option and if positive then the diagram could include this as an option.

Thank you.

I kept the factory control scheme which has either the hiigh beams on or the low beams on at any given time. This thread (http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...hlight=head%2A) shows my wiring plan for my '73.

Using the fusing shown on the wiring diagram at the Pelican Web site (), you would use Fuse 9 instead of 3 to control the Low Beam Relay and Fuse 11 instead of 1 to control the high beam relay. Power fromt he headlammps themselves would go through new fuses directly from the Battery.

There is much discussion of wiring concepts at Pelican. Personally, I would concerned about generating too much heat if both the hi and lo beams are energized at the same time as I do not think this was intended by the manufacturer. Perhaps someone like Daniel Stern (http://www.danielsternlighting.com) could provide a more definative answer.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Harry,

Yes, that is the major question I was having exactly. I had read all over Pelican and your referenced post here, but was not making the connection (Ha) on how/where to pull the control for the relays.

Did you use relays with 2 #87 terminals out for left and right?

Thank you for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by HarryD

Using the fusing shown on the wiring diagram at the Pelican Web site, you would use Fuse 9 instead of 3 to control the Low Beam Relay and Fuse 11 instead of 1 to control the high beam relay. Power from the headlamps themselves would go through new fuses directly from the Battery.

Quote Originally Posted by 68911+1
    Harry,

Yes, that is the major question I was having exactly. I had read all over Pelican and your referenced post here, but was not making the connection (Ha) on how/where to pull the control for the relays.

Did you use relays with 2 #87 terminals out for left and right?

Thank you for the information.
    Glad to help. I used a set of relays with 2 #87 contacts for each headlamp. I bought my kit from Daniel Stern (he has been very helpful to me and I thought i should reciprocate) but the Marcus Sucro kit is ok also except that from what I hear, your need to make some minor changes to his harness for an early car.
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300