I bought this 67S not so long ago. I haven't seen it in person yet
    but I'm planning what to do to it now.

Attachment 37673

The suspension pan and rockers need replacement. While I'm there
    what else should I be doing? I've seen oil cooler lines run through
    the rockers, it gets pretty hot during summer in Australia so I'd like
    to add an air conditioner as well. I guess the air conditioner just
    hooks into the heater lines.

I'm also thinking of upgrading the brakes to dual circuit.

Is there anything else which I should look to add or upgrade while
    I've got the car in bits.

I don't think it's had chain tensioners added, what's the story on
    adding hydraulic tensioners to the 67 engine?

andy
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ajwans
    I've seen oil cooler lines run through
    the rockers, it gets pretty hot during summer in Australia so I'd like
    to add an air conditioner as well.
    The early 2.0 engines do not generate the kind of heat that the later, larger displacement engines make, so unless you are racing it, I don't think you will need an auxiliary oil cooler. As far as A/C goes, it is a big job (and expensive) to do it correctly in a '67S--parts are largely NLA and holes must be cut in the sheetmetal, etc. I would not do it personally. Roll down the windows and sweat a little.

I'm also thinking of upgrading the brakes to dual circuit.
    That's a good upgrade. I would get the kit that allows you to keep the reservoir in the smuggler's box, rather than on the fender, as in the later cars.

I don't think it's had chain tensioners added, what's the story on
    adding hydraulic tensioners to the 67 engine?
    Unnecessary, IMHO, and incorrect looking. Upgrade to the later 930 tensioners and ramps and call it a day.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Hey,

Very nice looking car, but if I were you I would spent my money on a bare metal restoration, because I see there are some rustbubbles on the passenger-side door and you can be sure there will a lot more were that came from!

Afterwards you can focus on the mechanics

Johan

Brian Pick

a/c

your a/c is in your OTHER CAR.

This is the fun car. And probably not the DATE CAR.

As for a future oil cooler, could Andy somehow leave access somehow to the channel in the rocker panel?

I don't know whether the dealer installed a/c from my 72T would be the same as what was offered for the 67 model year, but I am planning to take mine off in the next month. If you want to buy it, I will sell it cheap. It should all be there.
    With a 72T developing only 140hp, I want all the hp I can get off the motor...
    Good luck with the resto. As per your previous posting about what the particular lever on the floor is for, right hand 67S cars are rare, and you have a diamond in the rough.
    With the crap exchange rate of the USdollar right, you might be better off shipping the car to California and havng the resto work done. There are some very high end restorers there that will make sure the car is done right. Pick it up, drive the PCH for a few days, do the break in valve adjustment and send it home and drive it hard...

Restoration newbie.
    What's the best ignition setup? I'm sure I don't want to be replacing
    fouled plugs all day long.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by ajwans
    What's the best ignition setup? I'm sure I don't want to be replacing fouled plugs all day long.
    I used an MSD6AL on mine w/ their Blaster coil, and a Crane Fireball XR700 optical points system to trigger it. Works great.

I think A/C was a dealer-installed option in '67, usually with a Behr unit? I think the underdash vent was different than in '72, Garth, but I don't know for sure. I agree about not bogging a 2.0 down with a compressor.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!