Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture help

Picture help

I'm trying to locate the picture (factory postcard?) of the orange car parked side on in front of a steel sphere / dome.
    I think it dates from '69 or '70 - a 911s Homologation car?
    I know I've seen it posted here before - just can't find the thread when I need it -you know how it is....

Many thanks for your help -

Here are three I have. Same car. Can't find the color one yet. I must have misplaced it. I do know I have it in one of my references at home.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Thanks Michael,
    Thought it was the same car.
    Look forward to the color pic... when you can.

i have sent you an email by-the-way.

Thanks
    C

Won't be able to retrieve the email until this eve at home. Darn corporate filters!

Doesn't keep me outta here though you'll notice,
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Same car, two scources.
    1st photo in color of car with french headlights can be found on page 28 of:
    Brian Long's "Porsche 911- The definitive history, '71 to '77"

2nd photo, same car, page 154 of Brian Long's 2nd book in the same series: "Porsche 911 - The definitive history, '63 - '71"

I highly recommend this series of books for evey Porsche student. Lots of valuable information.

Best, JZG
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Many thanks for your help John.
    Does anyone know why this car would have been fitted with French yellow lenses?
    Just for aesthetics ??

Still appreciate the postcard photo of the car infront of the metal sphere if anyone can help

Quote Originally Posted by gilbert911
    Does anyone know why this car would have been fitted with French yellow lenses?
    Just for aesthetics ??
    I had the impression that the two shots in front of the transformers showed lenses that were not yellow unlike that 3/4 shot. That's the book I was referring to. I'll take a closer look tonight at home. The other thought on the yellow lenses is that maybe it was done for the Paris show? Seems plausible.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

911S engine lid

Do my eyes deceive me or are there holes in the engine lid for the metal porsche script?

Also, the lack of the trim piece on the trailing edge of the front bumper would indicate that the car probably has an ALU front bumper - which the text of the Brian Long book indicates as being part of the spec.

Yes, this is base model of the 911S catalogued for the German market and which provided the basis for the homologation weight of the ST in 1970.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

70S homologation car front bumper

This is the type bumper the 70S German market homologation cars were equipped with. Made like the steel version in two main sections and pressed from the same tooling but in ALU not steel. No holes for deco trim as these were trimmed only with tape.
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

I think the the wheels were still factory anodized but, sans paint. "For the weight reduction of course Hans!"

There are so many 69 details on that car (because they were trying to get it ready as "The Liteweight" for the 70MY show) that it quite possibly is a standard 69 lid (three bar grill) and maybe not alum. Even if alum. it would have been trim delete so the holes make sense in a way though I've seen other lids that had no holes for trim delete. In that case since it would have been an out of the ordinary option, maybe the holes would have been filled prior to paint after the original panel had been fabbed.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586