Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butterflies and Hockey pucks?

So many questions, so few answers....

Butterflies and Hockey pucks?

I know the difference in appearance but, what's the difference in year/model placement? Are the two interchangeable?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    1967 911S Coupe
    1991 944S2 Coupe

Past projects:
    1967 912 Coupe
    1969 911T Coupe
    1985.5 944 SR Coupe

Interchangeable, yes. My understanding is that the Hockey puck was a no charge option, were as the Butterfly was upgrade / up charge. Since most of the cars were dealer ordered versus customer ordered, cheap upgrades were added to sweeten the deal so to speak.
    On another note, I have only seen Hockey pucks in 68 cars so far.

Thomas

I think more 912s ended up with them than 911s from what I've gathered.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

(a hand goes up from the back of the classroom)

What in the holy heck is a butterfly and a hockey puck? I mean..I know what they are, but what are they in early 911 speak?

Thanks!
    Andy

a picture is worth a thousands words
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ad.php?t=16818
    bob
    bob moglia
    '72 E sunroof coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Latka
    (a hand goes up from the back of the classroom)

What in the holy heck is a butterfly and a hockey puck? I mean..I know what they are, but what are they in early 911 speak?

Thanks!
    Andy
    Pre 69 Horn button assemblies. The butterfly has two wings out toward the rim and is cast pot metal with a leather center. The hockey puck is just a center horn button made of plastic with a leather center.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Oh. Gotcha. The picture did help as well!

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan
    The hockey puck is just a center horn button made of plastic with a leather center.
    This is probably the only time I will disagree with the very knowledgeable Michael Downing. The puck center is not leather but rather a "molded rubber" piece. This is the one I restored. Before I disassembled it I was expecting a leather wrapped foam center. That was not the case.
    I suspect the butterfly version is leather wrapped. I also supsect that the $50 leather replacements that you can buy from AASE are appropriate for the butterfly version and not the puck version. I had the AASE replacement and if I remember correctly it was the inverse of the puck crest (deboss/imboss).
    I won't even get into the 2 different grains of the puck because that is another thread. I was convinced that there was only one grain but I have since seen 2 pucks side by side with different grains.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by bob tilton
    This is probably the only time I will disagree with the very knowledgeable Michael Downing. The puck center is not leather but rather a "molded rubber" piece. .
    OK man, Game ON!! Though I don't know about the "very" part.

That is an interesting insert, I've not seen that type of center. However, I've had two different pucks, both leather. One I sold to a certain Frenchman if I recall correctly and other I still have. One was a leather cover over a seperate foam piece that sat on a metal plate. The foam often totally disintegrates which causes the leather to sag from lack of support. The other is leather that was bonded to a formed foam piece that was rigid enough not to need the plate. Similar to your rubber one in concept.

I posted an old thread showing the differences. I'll have to look it up. I kept the puck that did not have the metal plate cause it was lighter.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

The horn button thread

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=horn+button

The first one is a leather skin bonded to foam.

The second one is just formed leather. It and the foam sits on the silver plate.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586