Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old German license plates. Who makes them?

Old German license plates. Who makes them?

My 66/911 was a German delivered car (Hahn Stuttgart). On the original invoice (1966) there is the license plate mentioned. Is there a German company that supplies the correct 1966 license plates w/ a customer supplied number?

Thanks for your input.

Richard

If you mean the long square ones, it should be possible here in Germany, if you mean the oval export type one, that would be very difficult, because they were superseded by the square type a long time ago.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Hi Michael.

How do you know whether the original number is an export or regular number? My car was first delivered to a firma in Göbblingen and had his first few maintenance checks at Hahn in Stuttgart. I would think it's a regular number, by head something like GP-LL 00.

Where can the long square (w/o the euro flag) be ordered?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by 304678
    How do you know whether the original number is an export or regular number? My car was first delivered to a firma in Göbblingen and had his first few maintenance checks at Hahn in Stuttgart. I would think it's a regular number, by head something like GP-LL 00.
    In 1966 I'm pretty sure Germany was still using the oval tourist plates, tho' I'm not positive. If they were, all of those that I've ever seen have three numbers, the letter Z (for "zoll" or tariff) then four more numbers.

On a similar note, does anybody know how to date a Zoll plate by its number? I have a nicely restored oval pair (w/ Stuttgart stamp ) and would like to know their vintage.

Where can the long square (w/o the euro flag) be ordered?

Richard
    Do a Google search with the keywords - germany zoll tourist plates - and you'll get quite a few hits, for both ovals and rectangulars.
    Bill Leavitt
    Early 911S Registry #1083
    1969 S... when it left the factory

The oval ones were used up to 12/31/1988. The first three numbers denotes the Customs office like '528' for 'Stuttgart Ost', were Porsche registered their tourist export cars. The numbering system for the customs office changed once in 1968. 528 is for pre 1968 registrations. You can check the numbering system here:
    http://www.dr-herzfeld.de/kennzeiche...te/brdzoll.pdf
    I think there is no identification for the date of registration. 'Z' stands for Zoll=Customs.

Richard, yours seems to be a regular registration plate. In those days it was black lettering on a white plate with no Euro sign. The style of the lettering has changed, but I think it still can be made here to order. The Town is called Göppingen and is quite near to Stuttgart.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

In 1966 I'm pretty sure Germany was still using the oval tourist plates, tho' I'm not positive. If they were, all of those that I've ever seen have three numbers, the letter Z (for "zoll" or tariff) then four more numbers.
    My original number didn't have a Z. Also did it start w/ GP which most likely stands for Göppingen (not Göbblingen which I wrote by mistake).

I think what it should be are regular plain jane 66 style license plates. I looked at old pictures in Ludvigsen and they are just white plates w/ black letters. The current plates have blue euro thing on it. My question is, can the old style plates still be obtained?

Richard

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 67Porsche911S
    The oval ones were used up to 12/31/1988. The first three numbers denotes the Customs office like '528' for 'Stuttgart Ost', were Porsche registered their tourist export cars. The numbering system for the customs office changed once in 1968. 528 is for pre 1968 registrations. You can check the numbering system here:
    http://www.dr-herzfeld.de/kennzeiche...te/brdzoll.pdf
    I think there is no identification for the date of registration. 'Z' stands for Zoll=Customs.
    Vielen Dank! I'd thought the first three somehow indicated date, as the older the photos I've seen the lower the numbers for the first three always seemed to be. Just coincidence, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 304678
    I think what it should be are regular plain jane 66 style license plates. I looked at old pictures in Ludvigsen and they are just white plates w/ black letters. The current plates have blue euro thing on it. My question is, can the old style plates still be obtained?

Richard
    One of these should fit the bill:
    http://www.europlates.com/germ.html

HTH,
    Bill Leavitt
    Early 911S Registry #1083
    1969 S... when it left the factory

One of these should fit the bill:
    http://www.europlates.com/germ.html
    Thanks! Those look to be correct.

One more question, which I am going to ask the supplier as well. What was the length in 1966? 16 or 21". I am thinking 16" but if any one knows I would like to hear.

Richard

The '21 was the standart size, the smaller ones were possible on special request when you were able to get hold of what we call a 'short number' like 'S-B 11'.
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052