Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 912 Or 911 ???

912 Or 911 ???

I have what I believe is a 912 w/ a factory sunroof (chassis number 354493 and paint code 6601). It has '67 S gauges, S brakes, S suspension, and a '65 motor (900836) and trani. The motor mounts appear to be set up from the factory for a 6, not a 4.

When I enter the chassis number into the VIN ID #'s by Blaine DeLancey it comes up,"This is possibly a 911 from Sept. 1964 - 1967, Body by Porsche." Is this data base not set up for 912's?

I was going to sell off the motor and trani and restore it as a 912. Every time I start to work on the car I get freaked out thinking it's either the ultimate bastard, or too strange to be created by someone in a garage. Any insight on what this car really is and what direction I should take on the rebuild would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

According to the 912 Registry vin list, chassis #354493 is a '67 Porsche factory assembled (as opposed to a Karmann assembled) 912 coupe.

http://www.912registry.org/restore/vin.htm

Good luck with your restoration.
    Rich
    1966 911 #303872
    ES#1197
    RG#478

B-b-buy Bushwood?!?!
    Sounds like a great driving car as is. I wouldn't change it.
    Sandy Isaac
    '69 911E

Why not??? You already have a good basis as a hot rod with some trick parts it sounds like. Do you have both sways as well? ventilated rotors?

I don't know that I would spend the effort to restore it back to 912.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

My vote's for hot rodding it....
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

I dunno...

I'm tempted to disagree with you guys...

Here we have a pretty uniquely configured 912. The fact that it's a Porsche-bodied (vs Karmann) is somewhat a rarity right there. Then there's the sunroof, the 67 guages, the S hardware, suspension...etc. yada.

Now, "JPLong" is obviously in a position to do whatever he wants with the car and do it right...

What I'd be inclined to do is go the 912 route, and stick a rad, outlaw 4cyl motor in it. Picture this: 2.4 liter type 4 motor with an upright fan assembly, all the current internal tricks, a good, rorty exhaust system and...viola! you've got a real unique car that will be just as much fun as any early six banger set-up...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

Good luck - with whatever direction you take.

Cheers
    Thom

Thom,

What would I need to do to put it back to 4 cyl. configuration?

The earliest 912s and 911s used the same engine mounts! Don't cut it up to convert; with the right parts a 912 motor will bolt in which why the early owner most likely did the swap to 911 begin with. That motor is EARLY EARLY 911. Sounds like this car has essentially never been a 912. I'd keep it as-is.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Back to 912...

1. remove 911 motor mounts
    2. remove 911 oil tank setup
    3. replace 912 motor mounts
    4. build rad motor of your dreams
    5. match the transmission (don't forget the ltd slip) to whatever engine you come up with
    6. go through rest of car to your satisfaction (R & R)
    7. put some 6x15 fuchs and 205/50 tires on it...
    8. Stir & enjoy Go spank some 2.0 liter 911s with it...

Cheers
    Thom

Quote Originally Posted by Homemade 911
    1. remove 911 motor mounts
    2. remove 911 oil tank setup
    3. replace 912 motor mounts
    4. build rad motor of your dreams
    5. match the transmission (don't forget the ltd slip) to whatever engine you come up with
    6. go through rest of car to your satisfaction (R & R)
    7. put some 6x15 fuchs and 205/50 tires on it...
    8. Stir & enjoy Go spank some 2.0 liter 911s with it...

Cheers
    Thom
    Read above.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389