Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WOW...tough decision

WOW...tough decision

LMAO....what do ya think fellas???? Stick with the US original headlights or go H-4's??? Why oh why did the Yanks insist our cars look like crap with those silly sealed beams????

Disclaimer: Just put car in it's winter crib and it's currently unwashed. Hoping to loose those goofy Buick mirrors too and get me some Durants..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Absolutely use the Euro light - no question. That's what the car was designed to have, not to mention they look better and work better.

For 73 and earlier, though, they need to be H1s. The H-4s started in 74 (or thereabouts). I know H-1s are expensive, but hey, if you're going to make the change...

Just my .02
    Lee

H1's no question about it.
    Juan - Member # 321
    Ft. Lauderdale

Mission Foods Porsche GT3 Cup USA Champion
    Klub Sport Champion
    Rolex Endurance Champion
    Louis Chevrolet Endurance Champion
    HSR Sprint Champion
    PCA Club Race Champion

Race cars and parts for sale; videos and photos at: www.alteregoracing.com

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." -Sir Winston Churchill

I say stick with the sugar scoops and get some DOT-legal Hella Vision lamps, inexpensive basically a copy of the H4.

Street cars should have DOT legal lamps installed.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by Lee
    For 73 and earlier, though, they need to be H1s. The H-4s started in 74 (or thereabouts)
    I believe Porsche went to the H4s sometime in 1972. So technically, if you want to be correct, all post-'71 cars should have the H4s.

One of the biggest benefits of the Bosch H-4/H-1 lamp assemblies is how they seal the front of the headlight bucket to keep out water and prevent rust.

Lee is right; these cars were intended to be used with those euro headlight assemblies and the North American versions allow water inside to create corrosion and rust. Its not fun to replace headlight buckets,...BTDT,....
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com

One of the first things I "improved" on my '72 was replacing its "sugar scoops" with H-4's. The car looks 100% better now in my opinion.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

It depends on what direction you're going with the car, right? I can't think of a reason to keep the USA lights, other than vying for the Preservation Class win at the Parade I see you've got ST-like horn grills, so why not do something different and stick some custom spot lights in there like this Safari car!

Also, you can get fake Talbots for cheap:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ht=fake+talbot
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I bagged a new set of H4's with sealing rings and bulbs on evilbay so H4's it is not. It's still waaaaay nicer than the originals, but of course I'll be keeping the originals stashed away. Those horn grills are just 1/4" aluminum expanded metal (I bought a huge piece of it so there's lots left for the engine lid treatment). I am looking at my options for secondary lighting as well...
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Paul -

I like what you're doing there! Keep up the mods and enjoy that car.