Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 928? What do you guys think?

928? What do you guys think?

Lately I've been thinking about a 928. I know it's a different world but I do like them especially the 86 to 89, 5sp of course. What do you all think?
    Tom

I think it would really be a nice compliment to the early 911S. The price is really good on them now so the "bang for your buck" ratio is really good.
    I remember sitting in one new at the dealer thinking, "some day oh yes you will be mine"
    Getting the S4 is over course the best and I would not rule out an automatic sense it is a land yacht. Just pay up front for the best one it will be cheaper that way in the end.

Get a GT, if you can.

Love 'em...

A free lance automotive writer friend of mine used to call 928's "Kraut Camaro's"... Think about it, big V8, A/C that works, rear drive, etc.

The later the better, a GT would be optimal. Do your homework as when something breaks it's horrifically expensive to repair. Water pumps are an issue otherwise they are pretty reliable. Five speeds are rare being somewhere around 10% of those that were imported into the US. Prices have stopped falling and the good ones are appreciating. I have been thinking about one for years but have no place to put it.
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

Tom, I'd talk to David Lloyd at Musante Motorsports. He knows these cars in and out and can tell you the best years and what to avoid. His latest one he showed me was a beautiful, late 80's well maintained one that had to have the whole engine replaced due to a driveline thrust issue that screwed up the bottom end. Not too many people (at least around here) know these cars but David does and he could also probably hook you up with a nice car that won't pull a stunt like this one. Good luck..Jim L.

I have a steadfast rule: Avoid all Porsches with the engine in the front.

If you DO get one - which I wholeheartedly suggest you do not - do yourself a favor and get the BEST, NEWEST example you can find and PRAY you don't have any problems. The people who are willing to work on them are few and far between, and the people who are GOOD at working on them are even rarer.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Hi Guys, thanks for the input. I was leaning to a 87 thru 89. Although after doing some reading it looks like the 85 and 86 have the 288 hp motor, the 87-89 have more but I think I really like the look of the earlier 85 and 86. A bit cleaner and less cluttered or heavy. Sort of like the early 911 in 928 form. Just a thought but I will definately take your advices and buy the best. Cosmetics don't scare me but the mechanical stuff does.
    Tom

I have an 87 S4

It's great. Far far better than any GT Ferrari or Maserati that I've had (and I've had some). I travel up and down the California Central Valley on I5 with the cruise control set on 85/90 mph and both AC's chilling the cabin while getting 23 or 24 mpg! The car can accommodate my wife's suitcase and shopping. After a long day (say 10 hours) we're still speaking to one another and not at all fatigued. I keep wanting to replace it, but cannot come up with an alternative.

At the same time..... It ain't cheap! It's not unreliable, but there are a lot of things electronic that simply wear out (LH engine brain, and cruise control computers are notorious) The timing belt needs to be changed every 50,000 miles and since you're in there, you might as well change the thermostat, water pump, a couple of hoses and probably the belt tensioners. Power steering racks and radiators seem to fail at about 120,000 but are available and not bad to replace. Motor mounts can are very expensive to replace (lots and lots of labor). I just changed the clutch and the parts were $700, but the original went 165,000 miles and the clutch cover doubles as flywheel starter ring gear and includes all the timing magnets. The vacuum controls on the heater and air conditioner are difficult to reach and wear out after 120,000 miles or so. The foil contacts on the back of the instrument panel and the warning computer can be troublesome, but again only at mileages higher than a Ferrari or Maserati will ever see.

If one measures maintenance costs as a % of original cost, they're not out of line, but because 928s are cheap in today's market many are bought by folks who cannot afford them. Buying a deferred maintenance car is a nightmare.

I'm at 175,000 mile now and looking forward to another 150,000....... er, but it's time to do the damn belts again.
    But I get to listen to the Borola exhaust and it goes pretty well for a 20 year old truck!

johnt

Of course you can always shoehorn an aluminum block chevy into it...
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146
    I have a steadfast rule: Avoid all Porsches with the engine in the front.

If you DO get one - which I wholeheartedly suggest you do not - do yourself a favor and get the BEST, NEWEST example you can find and PRAY you don't have any problems. The people who are willing to work on them are few and far between, and the people who are GOOD at working on them are even rarer.

I gotta run with Marco on this one..... primarily because over the last 20 or so years I have only heard negative things from my wife about them when they are being worked on in the P-Car shop she works at (She's been there since '84) Nightmare stories about the electricals in them... some freaky stuff.

I would re-read what Marco is saying before laying down any $$$.

Not trying to be down on 928's..... just sharing what's crossed my path.

best of luck !!!
    Johnny Riz
    73E euro 3.2 w. a few goodies
    Rgrp 152
    S Reg 335