Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To restore, or not restore

To restore, or not restore

Here's the story of the week. I decided to post my latest purchase after I saw the 73 911T on the cars for sale section. Seems like a really nice original car with one correct repaint with all the stuff a buyer would want. One owner, all documentation, ect.
    Well, I just bought a one owner 1973 911T, CIS car. 52K original miles. Original title. The owner ordered it from Al Alden's Porsche in White River Junction Vermont in 1973. He drove it until the summer of 1977, and then parked it on his lawn until I bought it 2 weeks ago. Yes, it sat outside in the weather for over 30 years. Never driven. As bad as it looks in pictures, it's really not that rusted. It has all the S equipment. Gauges,fuchs,sway bars, front S spoiler, sport seats. The floor, innner and outer rockers have survived. As well as under the sill plates. But this car needs everything! Engine, trans, interior, paint, some rust repair, and everything else. We all know what this would cost. So, you got a really nice example for sale at 33K on the cars for sale section. So what do you do with this car? Part out a car that has never been hit, and has no dents in it? Then your left with a pretty good shell for a hot rod project? hard call. I'm not looking for offers, and I am not going to part it out now, or in the near future. The car is 100% there and never be screwed with. The main reason I bought it is for referance. I am now putting a 73S, and a 73RS together that have been apart for to long. With this car beside them, I can quickly turn around and check to see how every single part is to be installed. Wires routed,ect.. Please don't ask me to pull parts off this car to sell them. I know, the sport seats will really stir some interest. I will attempt to post a couple pics as I have in the past, but last time it didn't work. If there are no pictures, I will email them to the first person who emails me with the ability to help post them. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thats a real shame that someone would do that. My opinion is that it is not eating anything, so put it away and address it in five years. Before long, it willbe an obvious resto candidate.

Look at it this way. If you found a 356 in exactly the same condition, woud you part it or restore it?
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

My question would be; why a repaint after only 4 years of driving?

Is it Aubergine? The picture makes it look Aubergine... my favorite.

I really enjoyed my car when it was in full T trim. Extremely drivable. Mine came with the same package minus the seats. Looks like the comfort group wheels etc. The fact that it came with all the S equipment and Aubergine (?) should make it a fairly rare example.

That's a resto for sure (at least in my book), but maybe you're tired of restoring cars. If you think about it, it would be the perfect platform for any full blow resto-shop, if the rust is minumal. In 71 they began galvanizing the bottoms so I'd bet the pan itself is in great shape. Things to look for would be the front fender supports, longs by the jam and the supports behind the jam.

Also, as a T (iron cylinders) I'd be willing to bet the engine is totally seized (and I mean totally). I bought a 2.4 T engine for $450 (just for the MFI system). Over the years of sitting in the SC moisture, this motor was literally welded together. The mag block was almost eaten through just from water corrosion. I say this because if you want a matching numbers car, it may be extremely difficult and take a great deal of effort to get the engine apart. In mine, the pistons were "one" with the cylinders. Once I determined the case was toast, I took a sledge hammer to the P&C's to get them off so I could salvage the crank (which was in suprisingly good condition). You would not believe how difficult this was. Even then, pieces of piston would come off "with" pieces of cylinder attached.

Anyhoooo... I'll add a chorusing voice; keep every single part. Restore.
    Eric - Sandy, Utah
    71 911
    914-6/GT
    914-6/ORV
    87 944 Spec 1
    Porsche Truck
    62 Beetle
    80 VW “Caddy” Pickup
    72 R75/5 Toaster Tank
    PMB Performance
    We'll Make Your Calipers New Again
    Love Us On Facebook

As is..

get it running, put tyres on it and just have a blast. Anybody can have a perfect car. Please sell the seats to Eric, otherwise he'll bug you until February.
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Preserve the car. Restore the van.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Curt, no seats for Eric, sorry buddy! He's probably got a good stock of these.
    As for the van, I bought that with Smith on my last trip to Portland. It does'nt need to be restored. One owner, original paint, ZERO rust. I just borrowed the the engine, transmission, brakes, and headlights for my winter syncro. The Oregon van will get the inline four cylinder engine and longer gears in the tranny. Thanks everyone for the input. The jury is still out.

Yes, the color in Aubergine. The engine leaked just enough oil to keep the case OK. I hear ya on those P&C's, I've been down that road. A air hammer will take care of those pistons. Just have to wear your body armor.

I haven't even asked for the seats.....yet...., and I'm already been "dissed"

So, Rick, what ABOUT the seats.... I know I have parts you may need

Eric

Hi Rick,
    Purely as a curiosity for myself who's looking for a 'canadidate', what would you sell that car for? I'm looking at a 71 in original condition, Irish Green T...asking $9000 CDN. Small portion of the suspension pan needs replacement at front driver's torsion arm. Rust at door bottom and a little bit at the sills. Otherwise a solid 99% original car (looks like the wrong wheels to me...hehe) that could be driven for many years before restoration.
    ps...........Rick, your email box is overloaded and won't accept emails
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Paul, It's not how much would I sell the car for, it's how much would someone pay me for the car. Better hurry and buy that green T, before it cost $15,000. U.S.D.!! Looks like a decent car. But, it doesn't have fuchs, sport seats, or the S equipment. (gauges,sway bars, exterior trim, front spoiler). Although that car probably runs and has not been sitting 30+ years. I live 45 miles from the border, and 95 miles from Montreal. The Canadian's are down here trying to buy new cars, but the manufactures are shutting it down. A Subaru Outback is about 6K cheaper, and a boxster is 20K cheaper!