Thread: Michelin xwx

Michelin xwx

I have read many of the threads comparing the michelin xwx to various other brands. Much of them discuss cost issues or rim size, etc.

Can anyone offer their driving experience with them? As far as grip (handling), breaking, noise, wear and the like. I currently use Pirelli 185x70x15 p6000 tires.

These babies cost large dollars and I do not want to make a mistake. I am not tracking the car, do drive aggressively and may put 4,000 miles on the S per year.

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

I went for the 185/70 Vred's instead but Porsche thought the XWX was obviously a great tire all those yrs ago enough so to equip their top of the line sports car so you could say they had their day. However, I am sure there are many modern designed tires with superior grip/wear/handling but they are not they same size/vintage look if that is important. I would say it is more of a concours thing personally but I am sure they handle well but there are likely better tires out there for the money. IMO
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Back in the day, I tested a few brands on my '64 SC track car. The
    Michelins were harder compound and wore well, but tended to break
    loose sooner than most others. Pirelli's, Dunlop, and Vredestein were
    better handlers, but didn't last long.
    Mike B.
    1972 911E #414
    Early S #1065

Similar Threads

1. WTD Michelin XWX tires used in 185/70 15