Thread: Notchy Shifting On 70 S

Notchy Shifting On 70 S

If I am not very careful, I am scraping the shift into second. Sometims it is rough getting into reverse.

Are these normal characteristics?, or do you think something is going on that I should have repaired. I would hate to drop the transmission to have the clutch checked. My thinking is the syncros, but could there be adjustments (linkage) or parts in the shifter that need replacemnt or adjustment?

Thanks for any ideas you have.

John
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

I would suspect the plastic bushings in the linkage are getting worn, if you have not attended to them in recent memory.
    There are two, a ball-cup on the bottom of the shift lever, and a circular on the shift rod, just at the back end of the shifter assembly.

The shift coupler bushings, under the access plate in the rear seat area can also be a suspect here.

If you get all three in perfect condition, then adjust your shifter properly, hopefully the notchiness will no longer be an issue..
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by silverc4s
    I would suspect the plastic bushings in the linkage are getting worn, if you have not attended to them in recent memory.
    There are two, a ball-cup on the bottom of the shift lever, and a circular on the shift rod, just at the back end of the shifter assembly.

The shift coupler bushings, under the access plate in the rear seat area can also be a suspect here.

If you get all three in perfect condition, then adjust your shifter properly, hopefully the notchiness will no longer be an issue..
    What he said...
    Stefan Josef Koch
    RGruppe #194/SRegistry #1063
    1969 Porsche 911E, Light Ivory (38 years and counting)
    2015 Porsche Cayman S
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 1973 BMW R75/5

"An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools." -E. Hemingway

When you take the shifter assembly out to look at the ball cup, you might also want to turn the shift assembly upside down and look at the metal plate that the shift lever (chrome one) pushes against in the shifter base. It's called a reverse lock out plate, PN 901.424.017.00, and costs roughly 15 bucks at your friendly P/A dealer. When I took my shifter apart, the reverse lock out plate had a significant wear grove in it. The lock out plate Porsche sent me had a well engineered and improved stiffening plate

John
    73 S with sporto and 69 912 coming out of rehab

Before you dig in, make sure your clutch is properly adjusted. If it grinds going into reverse, this is usually a sign that the clutch is dragging causing the input shaft to spin when it should be stationary.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439