Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carpets for 1965 911's

No problem Bob. I'd have posted them myself but the resizing process is just such a pain. If you don't mind, post the closeup of the leather shift boot as well.

I wish we could increase the early S membership fee just slightly to pay for some sort of automatic resizing feature. I guarantee this site would have many more photos posted.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Tom's detail photos

These are some good photos Tom.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Was full carpet an option after 65 and when did they switch to the rubber floor mats?
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Carpet / Rubber mats

Hi Tony, someone is going to have to scour the original PR materials and option lists to find that answer.

A few years ago some guys who looked at my car remarked about the front carpet as being non original - rubber mats were standard. But it had been worn out carpet with the rubber heel pads on both the drivers mat and the tunnel carpeting and it matched the rest of the carpeting for age, color and edge trim. The heel pads were the same as Tom shows in his photos, (in the above post) and in the Drivers manual photos.

In an old 1965 review (I wish I knew which - if anyone finds them please post here) there was a comment that the original 911 had came with the carpet with the wide rubber heel pads "ON THE CARPET" and newer models came without the rubber (heel pads). That same review was in another publication but had been edited down to read essentially "original rubber pads - now carpet". That was pick-up by other magazines and, from then on the Rubber mats standard /Carpet optional was gospel and any early 911 with carpet floor mats was suspect.

I think (and I could be wrong again) that 911's always came standard with carpet.

It was only the 912 model that came with rubber mats - carpet optional.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

wrong

I was wrong about the carpet, after taking photo's for Tom F I realize the trunk is square weave and the interior is plush, it looks like worn down square weave, maybe Tom can post my pics?