Thread: Dad shopping for own gift -- HELP :)

Dad shopping for own gift -- HELP :)

I am new to the early 911s and am looking for a class to take to learn about the engines and car maintenance. Are there any courses out there for this purpose. I mean real beginner level....as in gas goes in the gas tank as a knowledge base.

Second question....good driving school for a basis for vintage rally, driver education, baby-step racing. I live in Florida so something in the southeast is preferred but not 100% necessary.

These are gifts that I would like the family to get me. If you guys on the board can't help, I will end up with a neck tie, shaver, coffee mug, and pics of the kids....not that we all don't love those things, but......

Thanks for the help!!

Jason,

These are GREAT questions....

You might want to consider these:

First, I'd read, then re-read, the maintenance section of the owners manual that came with your car ... until you feel pretty comfortable with the info...
    (One of the BEST sources of basic info for your car there is)

Then I'd join your local PCA chapter and see if there are any maintenance classes available...(Porsche Club of America)

Then I'd get 'Pelican's' Wayne Dempsey's book (101 projects)...

Then I'd get a factory set of workshop manuals...(expensive)

Kind'of in that order...with a bunch of comfort time in between...

Also,

The PCA should also be able to give you list of D.E (drivers education) classes in your region....

Hope any of this helps,

Cheers,
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Jason,
    As a veteran vintage racer, I would suggest Skip Barber for any racing or high performance driving school. Skippy School offers everything from beginning teenager driving classes to Advanced Racing and the race series. I have been through their advanced racing school, more for fun since I had a dozen years of wheel to wheel racing under my belt, and it was great. Got my wife the 2 day high performance school for Christmas one year and she had a ball. I think that would be the best gift the family could give dad for Christmas. And, they have schools all over the country.

As Chuck suggests, PCA DE is great, but ya gotta have a car. If you don't, there ain't no racin' fer you. Skippy's arrive and drive program is really great. Give it a try, you will be hooked for sure. Merry Christmas dad!
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

I am currently in the process of looking for an early 911 (s Targa) preferably. I do not currently have one, therefore....no owners manual.

I will get the other books you suggest.

Large part of the allure of the vintage 911 is the ability to learn to work on these cars. I have romantic fantasies about vintage rallies with a tool kit and a roll of duct tape....very primal in nature. Granted, it's not creating fire or hunting for food and shelter, but sounds like fun.

I will check into the Barber classes...would really like to do that.

I also will re-join PCA.....I have been a member when I owned cars in the past, and regret being out of the loop on Panorama and other info.

Thanks,

Jason

Hey Jason,
    I have a 73 owners manual if you'd like to borrow it. Also have a 73 Targa but a T. I think you'll be in this region of PCA... http://www.flcitrusregion.org/page--...n--splash.html
    There is a DE in Clermont, maybe catch a ride?

Edit; DE is this weekend.
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739