Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1973 Porsche Parade Monterey photos

1973 Porsche Parade Monterey photos

Greetings & Happy Holidays,

This is my introduction to the forum (in between Porsche's at this moment in time) but have wanted to join in the past. I live in Northern Vermont, have been around 911's since 1969, I was the GGR/PCA Nugget editor in 1991 and back in the day, had the opportunity to autocross against Dwight Mitchell, Terry and Judy Zaccone ('68' 911L Marcel), and the like. Currently I'm the Green Mountain Region PCA Mountaineer Editor.

I've known Rick Cabel for the last 12+ years (interestingly, he was the first person in the Northern Vermont car world that I hooked up with back in '96 - we share the same interests in ur-quattros and Carrera 3.o's).

I finally decided to dust off some vintage images and share with you guys...

Yes, that's me at a "so kewl moment" age of 12, at the 1973 Porsche Parade. The photo was taken just seconds after Ferry Porsche just signed my book that I still have today, "Porsche the Man and his Cars". I remember that I had just finished talking with Louise about "my studies" when my Father (who started this all) snapped off the 35mm slide on his Rollie.

more sizes http://www.flickr.com/photos/studior...86566/sizes/c/

Detailing line up. Check out that rear deck lid scoop!

more sizes http://www.flickr.com/photos/studior...03184/sizes/c/

The last shot speaks for itself...

more sizes http://www.flickr.com/photos/studior...22505/sizes/c/

I remember that day, getting in my Dad's 1969 911E and driving over the summit from Saratoga, CA to Monterey. Everytime he took us to Laguna Seca, he'd always totally run through the gears right on up to redline on this one cross-road cut-off called, "Colero Road" just north of Monterey - artichoke fields blurring past - the 2.0 litre wailing away. The sound will NEVER leave my brain.

Can I join your ranks?
    Last edited by ts rennsport; 12-28-2013 at 04:27 PM. Reason: fixed links to new Flickr gallery

Welcome......great story!

I wonder if the RSR is #1008?.......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

I'll leave the detective work up for you guys on that one. I'd love to have more slides, but alas, this was it . At least I'll give my Dad credit for shooting that last photo. "Come Dad, what the heck were you thinking!?! no VIN# shot or record of it on the slide!!! - gesh"

You guys are gunna be tough to hang with!

Wink Houndstooth pants

OMG....houndstooth pants!

Eric, how much yardage would it take to make a pair to match my seats?

Daron

Great pics, thanks. Anyone have any info on the "scoop"?
    Jay

72' 911T-Sold
    74' 914
    Early 911S Registry member #1161

Thumbs up

Welcome Thompson,

VERY cool pics...

I acquired a complete '73 Parade participation packet some years ago ... When I get home I'll look through the results booklet and see if there are any more pics of you or your dad ........

Cheers, and welcome again
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

That targa reminds me of one I have seen on here. I just can't seem to find the photos; Besides the Decklid scoop, the one I am thinking of also had a stainless targa top. It was slick...

Sweet Photos, Thanks and Welcome TS,
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123
    Aaron i am surprised you missed the homoligation car in the background with it's unique side stripe-the RSR engine must have blinded you.can you find that for me-i heard it's in a barn in minnesota.

Raj......are you serious about the barn thing?.......if so I'm going door to door......
    Aaron Hatz
    Flat Six, inc.
    www.flat6.com

Follow us on Facebook
    www.facebook.com/flatsixinc

You gurus don't leave ANY stone un-turned. While I was scoping out the photo I posted (funny you miss things looking at now and then for over 30+ years) I too saw the early homologated "Carrera" script in the background - good find.

I've got loads more goodies (in another new thread) to upload - keeping you houndstooth hounds drooling - stay tuned!

Don't rush off to Minnesota just yet.

The homologation RS in the background with the red reverse "Carrera" may be chassis 0017, which is the car that was used for many of the press photos, demo rides, etc. It is also featured many times in Dr. Konradsheim's "RS" book. I don't know if it was at Monterey in '73, but it did end up in the U.S. at some point based on the letters referenced below. If it is chassis 911 360 0017 in the photo, than the mystery is solved because the car is sitting right next to mine at Gunnar Racing being restored. There is some background letters from Porsche discussing that car which are posted on Gunnar's website www.gunnarracing.com under the "Projects" tab called RS Carrera Project.

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123
    Aaron i am surprised you missed the homoligation car in the background with it's unique side stripe-the RSR engine must have blinded you.can you find that for me-i heard it's in a barn in minnesota.
    Lee Giannone (Eastern PA)
    Early S Registry #808
    1960 356 Super 90 Roadster
    1966 911 2.0L Vintage Racecar
    1972 RSR Tribute
    1975 Privateer RSR (Diego Febles)
    1997 993 C2S Factory Aero
    1984 962-102 (Coca-Cola / Akin)
    1973 RS Carrera #911 360 1018 (2008 Parade Grand Champion) Sold
    1968 911L #11810414 FIA Group 2 Rallye Car (Destroyed in Fire '08)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9114 (Sold)
    1975 RSR #911 560 9122 (Sold)