Thread: gas tank vent tubes, 1973

gas tank vent tubes, 1973

The original clear vent tubes from my gas tank are yellow and hard as a rock. I am tempted to go to the hardware store and get some vinyl or pvc tubing to replace them but I'm wondering if that's a special plastic meant to withstand fuel vapors. Any suggestions?

Gordon

you cannot use vinyl etc.

you need a gas vapor rated hose - from a specialty house

McMaster Carr stocks gasoline resistant tubing. go to www.mcmaster.com and look at page 104.

"Fuel and Lubricant Yellow PVC Tubing
    • Very flexible
    • Wall Hardness: Soft (Shore A: 65)
    • Temperature Range: –15° to +165° F
    • Tensile Strength: 1900 psi
    • Use barbed fittings (see pages 137-144)
    Keep your fuel and lubricant lines flexible—you can use this tubing with gasoline, kerosene, heating oils, cutting compounds, and coolants without causing it to become hard or brittle. You can also use it with water and air. This tubing is transparent yellow, so you can easily monitor the flow of line. Not rated for sterilization or vacuum."
    Harry

Member #789
    1970 VW Sunroof Kombi Bus - "The Magic Bus"
    1973.5 911T Targa for fun - "Smokey"
    2009 MB C300

Wow there is a company that needs web site help

Was that clear hose or black rubber line
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Talking what to do?

Yes make sure you get the correct tubing for the vent lines also never cut the roof off a car and never change color from the original color. Thanks Ron

Mcmaster web site works if you are familar with catalog, been popular with Engineers for a million years.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by gmaltby
    The original clear vent tubes from my gas tank are yellow and hard as a rock. I am tempted to go to the hardware store and get some vinyl or pvc tubing to replace them but I'm wondering if that's a special plastic meant to withstand fuel vapors. Any suggestions?

Gordon
    I would upgrade to the fabric wrapped hose that the later cars used. It's still Porsche, and it's much better quality. If you try the clear tube from the hardware store, it will probably shrink and harden quickly. This is what happened to me, when I tried it.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

gas tank vent hose

Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I'll order some tubing from McMasters. Looks like the prices are reasonable, too. Regarding using black braided hose, I know that's the easy way out but it just doesn't look right. And yes, I know it's covered with carpet but I like the original look, even if I'm the only one who sees it. And yes, I did cut off the roof and change the color but Ron, I KNOW you're not that much of a purist!

Thanks again, Gordon
    Attached Images Attached Images