Thread: Looking at a 68 Soft Window Targa

Looking at a 68 Soft Window Targa

In the search for a 72/73 S Targa, I have come across a 68 Soft Window Targa. Wanted to get the input of the group.

I haven't done much reading on the soft window Targa or the 2.0L engine. I wanted to get as much info as possible on this model and any pics of owners who have one to give me a sense of what is original to the car and what is not.

The seats are original and tastefully recovered in a vinyl weave. Steering wheel is original, shift knob is wood with Porsche crest (I don't think original). Car has good gaps and does not appear to have accident damage. There is a quarter-size piece of rust forward of drivers door on lower portion of fender. There is an area of rust (poorly repaired with a bolt on cookie tray) on the floor panel behind the passenger seat. I do not see any additional areas of rust but will plan to re-examine and drive the car on Monday. The owner has a new (meaning different and without rust) floorpan for the car and the price of the car reflects this. The wheels are 5 (or 6...help me with this) Fuchs. What were the originals (controversy in my books about 5.5 Fuchs vs the steel drum types)?

Also, the redbook is not clear (to me) on this. The engine type is 901/06. The car is a US Targa...do those two go together or should engine type be 901/14?

Any thoughts and pics of the 68 soft window targa would be appreciated.

The Red Book say's this about 901/06....continued in the 911L except in USA

Then a 901/14 fitted to U.S 911 and 911L same as 901/06......

Becareful targa's seem to rust worst then other models. check around the rear package tray look under the engine insulation pad.
    Tony Proasi

52 split window coupe

Jason....Keep Looking!
    ...From your breif discription I don't even have to look at pictures of this one to tell you to keep looking..
    There is always another one just around the bend

John

I love SWB soft windows; GREAT cars. Ths one sounds very scary from the description. If you have exisiting connections to a good metal guy who knows 911s would be the only way I'd buy this car and only after he gave you an estimate.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Does anyone have pics of a 68 soft window targa? Would like to see what the interior looks like stock as well as the shift know. Pics of the chasis and the underside would be helpful to compare to this car.

The person I am considering buying from seems dead honest.....pointed out all flaws and has florplan and bodyshop as part of his business. Cost to repair and repaint to good quality (I have seen examples of other cars he has done sitting at his shop) is $10K. Price of car plus repairs still in reasonable price range.

Compression test in 160s all around. I plan to drive on Monday.

Additional thoughts/suggestions appreciated? Pics would be great. Thanks,

Jason