Thread: Location of horn relay on a 70T?

Location of horn relay on a 70T?

Not mentioned in the owner's manual and the illustration in my Bentley manual (65-89) doesn't help. It shows horn, fog, aux. light and a/c relays right next to the fuse boxes, but I don't have any relays there.

Stumped.

Ulrich

horn relay in 70 T

Now that doesn't compute, since 69 when they went to the two fuse box set-up adjacent to the left battery, all the relays except the turn signal were on the vertical panel next to the fuse panels. If the relay is missing there should still be the six pin socket for it. There wasn't any other location used.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Hi,

Here is the horn relay on the 70 S.
    HTH

No six-pin connector at all. NTH, does the wire for the pin connector come out of the fuse box? If so which fuse does it come from. Thanks you for taking the pic.

Ulrich
    Attached Images Attached Images  

horn relay in 70 T

Judging by the absence of a relay, relay socket, and necessary wiring we can assume that you do not have a working horn, which is what prompted all this in the first place. Are the horns themselves also missing? It would be safe to assume that they (horns) were there when Porsche built the car, so it would seem someone has removed all the pieces for some reason. Have they rewired and relocated all the wiring and relay? In addition to the standard round black relay socket and relay that is missing there would have been two black w/ yellow tracer wires, one to each side of car. (horns could be on either side) There would have been a brown w/ white tracer wire to the steering column, and there would have been a red power input wire to the input side of fuse #2 on the fuse panel. Usually what will happen is that someone has a problem, and instead of diagnosing and applying a proper fix they will jury rig a totally different installation which no one in the future can figure out since it doesn't comply to any original wiring circuits. This may be what you have.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed, this gives me a place to start my wiring search.

You are correct in assuming my horn doesn't work. First thing I did was test the horn, left fenderwell only, against the battery. Checked ok. Now I get to look for wires.

Ulrich

Ok, I've been looking at wiring diagrams, and will this work:

- I'll buy a new relay socket and horn relay
    - Connect the green/black wire from the horn and the brown/white wire from the steering wheel to the socket.
    - Run wire from socket to the No. 2 fuse.

Will that do it?

Thank you very much.

Ulrich

I may have solved my mystery. Noticed this above my fuse boxes. Wire colors would suggest some kind of non- OEM horn relay fix. Has anyone seen one of these before?

Ulrich

70 911 horn relay

Ahhh, that would be the jury rigged fix I mentioned. Looks like a generic domestic relay, take down to your local Pep Boys, O'Reilly's, NAPA whatever and see if they can't match it.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.