Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1970 911S Irish Green

1970 911S Irish Green

Not mine, but I think the price is really good on this car. Clean driver, sport seats, Fuchs -- nothing's missing. At $40k it could be a worthwhile investment.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=380203
    1951 pre-A 356 (SOLD)
    1972 911T in "no-resale brown"

Hi, I looked at this car last summer. If I can help anyone please let me know.
    Tom

Nice car. I am looking for a Targa, but please educate me in the change in value that results from an engine not original to car. As I continue my search, it seems that the cars that require explanations aren't quite as valuable as those with a flowing story.

Not a matching numbers car which will always hurt it's value but the replacement engine is not far from the original (lucky find?) so not a disaster by any means. Wonder what happened to the original engine?

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

Quote Originally Posted by Microgator
    ... the cars that require explanations aren't quite as valuable as those with a flowing story.
    Well put!

------------------ >
    1951 pre-A 356 (SOLD)

Wrong motor, wrong steering wheel, incorrect Fuchs AND needs paint for $40k ........... WOW !!!!

Chuck

There are exceptions to the wrong motor bit. I would argue that a good rust free T with the wrong motor, but instead an S motor built by a respected builder in the community is worth more than the the original matching numbers car.
    On the other hand an early nearly perfect 911T with very low miles and a very well documented history would be as valuable.
    Just my opinion. But I willing to prove my point with my checkbook

Quote Originally Posted by Baron
    Wrong motor, wrong steering wheel, incorrect Fuchs AND needs paint for $40k ........... WOW !!!!

Chuck
    A recent purchase I made was pretty similar (67S), except that mine had a respray......and I had several emails from people wanting to buy the car from me. I personally would have preferred that I had the paint pictured rather than a new respray, if in fact the car was half or more OE paint.

I think the car is very interesting...particularly as it compares to the leaf green 70T. Incorrect engines don't bother me...the builder of the engine does though. Rust is a bigger factor to me than mechanicals.... I think this car (if as advertised) will be a great pleasure to someone....

Some of the numbers regarding matching number engines I have heard is 10% to 25% in terms of value differences.

e

Quote Originally Posted by Baron

Chuck
    I think we need to distinguish between the terms "matching" and "correct." The engine that is in the car IS correct, being that it is an S engine from the same year. However, it's not matching because it's not the engine that appears on the build sheet (or COA since Porsche locked things up ).

The steering wheel is not going to detract from its value because it, too, is a period correct wheel that was very popular to the era. A correct factory steering wheel for this car is not hard to find should the new owner wish to go that route.

I'd also prefer this paint to a full respray. Unless a full windows out, etc. job is done, you aren't going to increase the value of the car.
    1951 pre-A 356 (SOLD)

Any other comments from the "S" experts?? There are a few issues: Motor, Wheels, Rockers, Door Pockets/Map Pockets, Dash (Maybe a Cap?)...Just what do those things do to value? Interesting discussion-one for those more knowlegable than me........keep the comments coming.
    67 911S 306318S
    96 993 Twin Turbo
    57 Speedster
    59 Speedster D
    63 250GTE
    84 512 BBi
    66 330 GT
    69 GT500
    69 Mach 1 CJ
    71 SWB Chevy PU