Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1976 Carrera Factory 09 2.7 RS option

Red face errr

that was a nincompoop attempt at attaching an angry smiley face... next time I may try reading the instructions.
    JR

Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by john rice
    I wrote some rude things. http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...milies/mad.gif
    Then I erased it all. I DO thank you guys who took the time and energy to expose this fraud. Now, if we could only keep him from coming back. Ever.
    John Rice
    +1...... though I am also curious as to his version.....though Jack's silence speaks for itself........
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Quote Originally Posted by Luke A. Marano
    +1...... though I am also curious as to his version.....though Jack's silence speaks for itself........
    He hasn't been online since his last post on this thread (12/18 at 1:33 pm), unless he's been on as a guest.

e

Quote Originally Posted by karlusmagnus
    Jack, this was one of your previous sales?
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=383087
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...earchid=239043
    I'm sure Yale will chime in, as this particular sale does not seem to have had a happy ending. Being that he only has one post, in fairness, perhaps you would comment, so that any other cars you sell are not sullied by disagreements from any previous transactions.

Karl.

Thank you for alerting me to this thread,
    firstly I will preface this by saying that I immediately offered to take the car back, for no other reason than that is what I do, and he refused, he wanted me to pay for the restoration of this car.
    you will also see that I posted a thread here asking if this car was indeed rusty.
    To be fair Yale is not a Porsche man, and has no knowledge of what rust in a 911 is.

There was a scape on the underside of the front spoiler that showed signs of suface rust, and the rest of the car was superb. All original pans, sills, jacking points perfect, the pedal assembly perfect, even the battery boxes were virgin. Door shuts perfect with original epa sticker.
    The body itself was spectacular and didn't even have the smallest rust bubble anywhere, not even where the targa bar meets the body.
    This car would please even the most ardent porsche guy. It was a driver quality car for a driver quality price. E targas are wonderful cars, and to find one in signal yellow with factory air and leather is not an every day occurance, so the price paid was fair.
    Furthermore I spoke to Yale several times on the phone and told him to have the car checked out by a local shop here in LA as I could tell he was very finicky and had great expectations and tried to put him off buying it, I guess he thought it was reverse pshycology, as he got off the phone and hit the buy it now button.
    His expectations leaned more towards a new car or a Porsche Parade winner than a 35 year old unrestored car. I told him that is was a driver, nothing more.
    The car he was expecting is a $ 50K plus car.
    You can please most of the people most of the time, Yale is unfortunately one of those you cannot, and we have all know at least one person like that who fits the descrition. I tried to make nice.
    By that I mean no disrespect to him, he is a very nice guy, but does not know what a rusty Porsche really is.

I know Porsches and I know rust, this car was not rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by mycarrera2.7rs
    Thank you for alerting me to this thread,
    firstly I will preface this by saying that I immediately offered to take the car back, for no other reason than that is what I do, and he refused, he wanted me to pay for the restoration of this car.
    Two sides to every story.... To clarify that above statement.... you are now saying your are willing to take the car back.

Quote Originally Posted by mycarrera2.7rs
    It seems that he now wants you to take the car back. Do you plan to stand behind your car and take it back?

To be fair Yale is not a Porsche man, and has no knowledge of what rust in a 911 is.

And, if not for the rest of us, please educate me how rust in a 911 differs from rust anywhere else. I looked up rust in wikipedia and it had the normal words I was expecting to see -- oxidized, corrosion, moisture, etc...but the website did not list Porsche or 911 anywhere.

If the man says he has an estimate for replacement of the rear seat pans because they are rusty, I would say there is rust and you should give him his money back without qualification and without a BS restocking fee. This obviously did not satisfy your description of 1000% rust free.

responsibility

"To be fair Yale is not a Porsche man, and has no knowledge of what rust in a 911 is." ..

...probably should say "where" rather than "what" as in where the rust in a 911 IS.

To be fair, you state that YOU, JP..know and somehow it escaped your expert assessment when claiming 1000% rust free.
    However, it is obviously more serious than just a passable small defect such as surface rust.

A 10% restocking fee would be unfair as he purchased on good faith and your good words as well( he didnt suddenly retract or change his mind and throw a wrench in your auction) he clicked , he paid and didnt get what was claimed.
    Nevertheless, I believe that the majority of the responsibility lies with the buyer.

Get a PPI for assurance if you dont know these cars or even if you do know them.
    if you elect NOT to get an inspection, well, who's fault is that?

In an age where many of us here would pull the trigger on a good deal anyday ( ex.a running but rough 67S for $10K BIN) based only on pictures, one must acknowledge that risk and be ready and cognizant of surprises other than blatant misrepresentation possibly waiting for him.

There is a reason that the Ebay recourse "not as described" process, does not cover rust, its because it would be hard to find a legal determination defining the extent or the age of rust and to what degree. These cars are old. If the rust was there before and the car has changed hands several times, it is assumed to be incontrovertible, accepted or unnoticed. It is not something that has changed as a result of a change of hands.
    On the other hand, mechanical defects are covered as these were subject to a great number of variables as in i.e.
    unknown/undisclosed problems by the seller or
    " the transport company driver may have flooded the car, used chains around brake lines
    , or went for a joyride and missed a shift and broke the transmission"
    ect, ect...
    It is risky business buying this way however a well prepared buyer should have no problem conducting a good purchase, I have and made MY mistakes
    (that $10K BIN 67S was not a real S, but something someone did before the seller who doesnt know Porsches)

learn something new ...personal responsibility
    CAVEAT EMPTOR
    Richard aka le Zookeeper
    early reg #1128

Personal Responsibility........to not get taken advantage of.......