Thread: First Use of the Name "Carrera"

First Use of the Name "Carrera"

This is likely to be an easy question for you guys, but I have seen conflicting information on the internet, so I will serve it up to the experts.

What was the first Porsche to oficially carry the "Carrera" name?

I have heard that the Porsche racecars in the Carrera Panamericana races (of the 1950's) were called "Carreras", but was the name actually "in the metal" / on the cars, or was this just a nickname for the racecars? In what year did the Carrera name first appear, in the metal?

Next part of the question: What was the first street car / car offered through dealers to the general public to carry the name "Carrera", in the metal?

Thanks,

Jeff

I'll go out on a limb and say that the first official use of the Carrera moniker was in 1954 when they called the 550 Spyder 4-cam engine the 'Carrera' engine (after they won the Carrera PanAm with it). First car to use the name would be in 1955/56 when they dropped this engine into the road-going 356 and called it the 356 Carrera.

So the 356 Carrera had the "Carrera" Badge / Name Written on the Car?

not trying to sound like a lawyer, but just wondering whether it actually had the name written on the car / metal script / etc.?

thanks,

jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Stein
    not trying to sound like a lawyer, but just wondering whether it actually had the name written on the car / metal script / etc.?

thanks,

jeff
    Yes
    http://www.356carrera.net
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Glenn Stazak

Fuhrmann engine

Ernst Fuhrmann, the engineer behind the original 4-cam 'Carrera' (Fuhrmann engine) of the fifties was later the first CEO of the newly organised Dr.ing. H.c.F. Porsche AG.
    (Until 1971 Porsche was a family owned "limited risk company" (KG in german ) starting in 1972 a "stock option company" (AG in german) with a CEO and independent family members/stock option holders on the supervision board).

Having the future prototype 2.7litre 911S under development for 1973 and even some brochures of the new car line up already in print, Ernst Fuhrmann and the marketing dept. changed its "top of the line" car to a new 2.7l RS 'Carrera' designation.

The 'Carrera' on 2.7RS cars re-uses the fifties graphic design of metal scripts on 356 cars, probably for both memorising the famous success of this 4-cam engine in competition as well as the new CEO apointment of its former engineer...
    Registry member No.773

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    I'll go out on a limb and say that the first official use of the Carrera moniker was in 1954 when they called the 550 Spyder 4-cam engine the 'Carrera' engine (after they won the Carrera PanAm with it). First car to use the name would be in 1955/56 when they dropped this engine into the road-going 356 and called it the 356 Carrera.
    This brings to mind another car named after a Great Race
    The Pontiac LeMans LOL
    Glenn Stazak

Jeez, I just about choked looking at that, Glenn. My secretary came rushing in to see if I was OK ....

(Ironically, that's the car I was trying to think of when photos of Chris Bungle's latest BMW, the X6, was released. -- see Off Topic BMW thread)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CurtEgerer
    Jeez, I just about choked looking at that, Glenn. My secretary came rushing in to see if I was OK ....

(Ironically, that's the car I was trying to think of when photos of Chris Bungle's latest BMW, the X6, was released. -- see Off Topic BMW thread)
    Curt,
    You don't feel this car is the epitome of speed and endurance?

LOL
    Glenn Stazak

Jared Rundell - Registered User JCR's Avatar
    It's too bad the A.G. mindset saw fit to eventually put the word "Carrera" on everything... eroding the hard fought, special aura of the term. Shades of the Detroit mindset... but as demonstrated above, nobody can trash a once proud name like Detroit.

Monaco
    Monte Carlo (did you ever see the "Intimidator" edition?)
    Sebring
    Daytona
    Even Shelby... remember the Dodge Omni GLH Shelby?
    Jared
    '73 911S #0793
    '69 912_ #0602
    Early S #0454
    RGruppe #0391

Hey Jeff I know where you're going......

....but Porsche used C a r r e r a before Heuer did!

Hope you're well mate and good to hear of you over here.

Happy (Heuer) Christmas.

Cheers

Stewart.