How do these tensioners work?

Maybe I'm slow but for the life of me I can't work out how
    these tensioners keep the chain tight.

Can anybody shed some light?

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

They never fail but you will need to adjust them from time to time due to chain stretching especially if the chains are new. They fit in the same pricipal as the others but there is no piston so you adjust the pivot on the top.
    Here is a Pelican article that has pics of the chain box and may help with the visual.
    Rick

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...ensioners2.htm
    67 Normale, Old Rusty
    67 R Inspired and on a Diet
    73 T/ST Caged Beast
    RGruppe #383
    S Registry #739

That don't work well

and will vibrate the pins that hold the tensioners so that they will com loose. And almost as bad leak oil.

The fail safe approach is "pressure fed" tensioners a.k.a. Carrera tensioners. If you must have the an original vintage look, go with the latest "Turbo Tensioners," brand new ones that is.

-Allen-

I've been running mechanical tensioners for a few years now with no issues whatsoever. That said, I have a pressure fed system waiting in the wings for my installation.
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

'72 911T 3,0 liter MFI Albert Blue street/DE toy Jeff Higgins's Avatar
    I ran those mechanical tensioners (after a couple of hydraulic tensioner failures) for some time as well. No issues whatsoever. I did finally upgrade to Carrera tensioners, and now just keep the mechanicals around for timing cams. By the way, it seems to me I bought mine from Pelican for one heck of a lot less than that winning bid.
    "God invented whisky so the Irish wouldn't rule the world."