Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Deck Lid Trivia?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun 69 E View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of a 69 3-bar aluminum decklid?

Has anyone ever, personally seen one?
    bump
    Bump

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun 69 E View Post

bump
    Bump

Chris, I do not think it exists...

Once upon a time I posted this in response to a guy that was told that a five bar aluminum lid was correct for his 69S:

So, I dug out my 69 /70 manuals. It is the 69 three volume manual set dated Oct 68 and has updates up to 7/69. It does list 70 MY items that were due to come out in the next month (Aug/Sep 69).

The 69 manual has the following flag notes:

1. To the end of the 69MY
    2. From MY 70
    3. until Jun 69
    4. From Jul 69

So, my 69 manual lists two versions of the steel lid:

901.512.010.23 with flag note 1 (end of 69MY) shown across all models (assumed to be the three bar lid)

911.512.010.10 with flag note 2 (MY 70) but, not on the S. This is for sure the five bar steel lid as the same part number is used in my 71 manual for the steel lid listed for the T/E.

The 69 manual also lists the aluminum lid:

911.512.010.00 with flag note 2 (from MY 70) for the E/S. This is for sure the five bar alum lid as the same part number is used in my 71 manual for the alum lid listed for the E/S.

Same methodology is followed for the steel versus aluminum valance part numbers using the same flag notes.

No mention of the aluminum bits used on the 69 for any models. Only 70 MY.

Further to the two different steel lids in the 69 manual, there are two different grills listed as well:

901.559.041.23 with flag note 1 (end of 69MY) shown across all models (assumed to be the three bar grill)

901.559.041.00 with flag note 2 (MY 70) across all models. This is for sure the five bar grill as the same part number is used in my 71 manual.

My 71 manual lists the steel lid for the T/E and alum lid for the S. The valance is a different story. It lists the steel for the T only and the alum for the E/S.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I parted out a 69E that had an aluminum engine lid with paint that looked original to the car. Don't remember what grille it had.

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Chris, I do not think it exists...

Once upon a time I posted this in response to a guy that was told that a five bar aluminum lid was correct for his 69S:
    A 1969MY 3 bar aluminum rear deck lid does exist. Probably four were made, and one survives. From the four 1969 GTS’s lwb race cars they built in mid 1968.

Other than that, no.
    Last edited by rower; 10-25-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg911s View Post

bump
    Bump
    Yes, see my answer above. But only four were made, one survives. From the 1969 911 GTS race cars.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    A 1969MY 3 bar aluminum rear deck lid does exist. Probably four were made, and one survives. From the four 1969 GTS’s lwb race cars they built in mid 1968.

Other than that, no.
    Well yes, but, we were discussing factory production on the 69S. We could say the same about the stainless steel 67.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    Well yes, but, we were discussing factory production on the 69S. We could say the same about the stainless steel 67.
    Shaun didn’t say production. He asked whether one existed and if anyone had ever seen one.

If someone asked whether Porsche produced a stainless 67, it didn’t mean just production!

Anyway, they did make some so it’s good trivia as the title of the thread asks.

Late again to the thread. Summary seems to be that aluminum lids are generally originally fitted to 1969 - 1971 911S and 911E. Aluminum license panel on all of the same with aluminum lids? Wipers could be fitted both sides and gas shock was weaker and had a yellow dot. Let me know what is wrong.

What is a 5 bar vs a 3 bar rear lid?

Knew of a 73S with factory air and it had an aluminum lid.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.