Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum Deck Lid Trivia?

My May '73 build targa has an aluminum decklid and a Stoddard aluminum license plate replacement. It used to have the original license plate panel, but I replaced it when it got bent up one day. STUPID, I know.

I am 99% positive that the aluminum parts where original. There was no trace of another body color when the decklid was sanded down to be repainted. Oh, I the car has factory AC.
    Neil
    '73 911S targa

Just as a reference point, my 71 parts catalogue lists the aluminum deck lid as Part # is 911.512.010.00

Steel lid is 911.512.010.10

Interestingly, the book identifies the aluminum as an "S" fitment and the steel as a "T" fitment, but does not specify what you would use for the "E"
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Read it again Dave. The book specifies the T and E as steel, the book shows a 1 for both. The S shows a 1 in the column for the alloy. Look at the center panel, the book is again consistent with what I have always said, the 71 E has the alloy center panel like the S, with no alloy lid for 1971. I will have to look at my notes on the 69-70 E.

Jeff,

I sold my all original 1970 911S coupe last spring. It was all original paint. It had a steel decklid.

Erick

My '71 S with a build date of 5/1/71 had all original paint and 5 original wheels (from what I can tell) when I purchased it. Came with aluminum lid and licence panel. The car has the rear wiper option and 'FLAT' wheels. Many people have told me it should have deep wheels so this is great information!

Thanks Schmidt...
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

Actually, I did misread it Herr Schmidt

My 71 parts book shows the aluminum deck lid for the E and the S.

I can scan the page if you like. It is Edition 1970 for Model 1971
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

Ok Dave, look again, it should be the 69-70 book. The 71 book is a one year book. The 69-70 book from memory shows the alloy on the E and S for 69-70. The 71 book is the same but no alloy for the E on the lid. Erick, man I wish I could see that car, that is great info, however I would need to see it to believe it, please understand I have heard the same story 50 times only to find paint work, incorrect fastners, and other things leading to the decklid being off and replaced. Tom yes the flat wheels on your car sounds correct. What are the date stamps on the wheels, my guess is 3-71 or 4-71 check out the spare. Did yours have the flat mirror?

This is a timely and interesting discussion as I am planning to take a damaged AL and a steel decklid to some master metelworkers (these guys are more than capable as they built AL bodied Ferrari's for Norwood years ago) next Wed. to see about repair or making a new AL lid.

The question I have is in regard to the price point for an AL lid. At what price would it be worth doing the repair or having a new lid made?

It is not just the price but also the availability. They just do not seem to pop up all that often.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Regards,
    Bob

Tough call, it would be nice knowing the original is on the car.

You are right Herr Schmidt, 4-71 on the spare. Round Mirror though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544