Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dick Barbour 1980 24hr LeMans

Dick Barbour 1980 24hr LeMans

So, I purchased Autobahn dismantling 8 years ago and have been running it ever since. We purchased the business with the shelves stocked. Up above our office there were 6-7 plastic storage boxes full of magazines. I looked at one box way back when, and it was full of old excellence and Christophorus magazine. 3-4 weeks ago I FINALLY pulled them down. As I started digging I found a bunch of Ferrari club info with Dick Barbour’s name on it… all from the 70’s-80’s. Also inside was a folder of paperwork from the 1980 24hrs of Le Mans. Some of it’s hand written notes on engineering paper, and some of it’s are official documents from the governing body regarding rule changes etc. One document is an official violation to do with oil consumption, it is typed onto a 24hr of LeMans letter head with Dick Barbour’s signature and the officials with exact times on it. Most of it has to with the famous #70 Sachs car. Some notes are pit strategies, pit pass given out, what drivers are with what cars and what mechanics. Lap charts etc. Lots of famous names, Brian Redman, Dick Barbour, Bruce Anderson, Bobby Rahal, John Fitzpatrick, Jerry Woods etc. Also documents from the 6hrs of Watkins Glen 1977. Including a lap chart made from 4 sheets of paper. I think this came from the Vasek Polak auction 10 years ago. So, my question is… what should I do with this? I imagine to the right collector it’s worth some $$?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hmmmmm...what's up with that RSR at the website? Is it for sale?
    Paul Schooley
    71 911T (RS wanabe w/2.7L juice)
    S Reg #863
    R Gruppe #330

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Sean,

You have a real opportunity here in the Porsche world. I recommend:

1) You make really good copies for yourself.

2) You scan everything in high resolution for posting at various resolutions and post on all the forum archives.

3) You offer (perhaps first) the originals for sale to whoever owned the car over the years. Hopefully the current caretaker will recognize the value and out-bid everyone else.

These kinds of historical documents both need to be preserved and continue with the cars. I have an original Porsche MSO for a 904 where I can’t find the current caretaker.

The “Porsche gods” will thank you for your effort.
    Hopefully you will get some remuneration for your effort.
    If not, just smile. Others appreciate.

Best,
    Grady

Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn
    Most of it has to with the famous #70 Sachs car. Some notes are pit strategies, pit pass given out, what drivers are with what cars and what mechanics. Lap charts etc. Lots of famous names, Brian Redman, Dick Barbour, Bruce Anderson, Bobby Rahal, John Fitzpatrick, Jerry Woods etc. Also documents from the 6hrs of Watkins Glen 1977. Including a lap chart made from 4 sheets of paper. I think this came from the Vasek Polak auction 10 years ago. So, my question is… what should I do with this? I imagine to the right collector it’s worth some $$?

Happy Holidays...
    While this isn't my deal and I have no interest (real or imagined), I suggest contacting Jim Castle Jr., who currently owns a/the Sachs car. I believe Jim works closely with Bruce Canepa, as I don't have any contact info here. Jim's a nice guy - it's worth a shot anyway.

I HOPE I'm talking about the right Sachs car. I'm thinking of the 935 that currently runs around on the historic circuit...

Cheers - Good luck
    Thom

Yes the 935 Sachs car...

I will take some photos tomorrow and post them. It's really cool stuff.

You may want to post your message on the 935 photo thread on Pelican. There is a least one 935 owner who frequents that thread.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...ght=935+photos

Post Here is a small sample of the really cool documents...

Wow, pretty neat stuff. Anytime names from the past come up it makes for some great nostalgia time. Martin Raffauf. Haven't heard his name in a while....Grady, you gave some good thoughts as to what to do with the docs. If I'm not mistaken, you drove some with Ray Ratcliff in the early 80's...right?
    Jack Griffin
    Dallas, Tx.
    Early 911S #167
    RGruppe #192

'55 356 s/r Outlaw
    '70 914-6 (2.5L owned since '76)
    '85 911 Carrera Cpe.
    '89 911 Speedster (bought new)
    '84 MB 300CD (bought new)
    Gone but great memories - '74 RSR 9114609113

Unincorporated Arapahoe County, Colorado, USA
    Jack,

I think the 935K3 I raced was one of these three.
    I’ll consult Bruce A. as to which.

Boy, old time week.
    I recognize almost everyone, co-drove with some and many were my crew.
    It was a privilege to race with these guys.

This is an IMSA race in about '82.
    The 935K3 is at Riverside with me driving.
    Turn six, top of the hill.

There are important details about the tires' deformation and the
    torque-inducrd height of the splitter. Study the image.

Best,
    Grady

Grady,

Ah, Riverside....too bad that one is history. Great photo of you in '82....I drove there (LA Times GP) in '83 (Mazda GTU) and was on track when Stommelen crashed in his 935. I drove 935 there next yr with couple of Canadians. Mostly I drove with M. L. Speer. He is my accountant and he and Ray Ratcliff and I get together regularly and bs (mostly tell lies) about back then.
    Jack Griffin
    Dallas, Tx.
    Early 911S #167
    RGruppe #192

'55 356 s/r Outlaw
    '70 914-6 (2.5L owned since '76)
    '85 911 Carrera Cpe.
    '89 911 Speedster (bought new)
    '84 MB 300CD (bought new)
    Gone but great memories - '74 RSR 9114609113