Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hood Latch Adjustment

It’s an incredibly fragile mechanism, no wonder Porsche redesigned for 1974. On my car if the pin is tight the hood will pop open on a rough road; if it’s loose the hood will stay closed but it doesn’t pop up if you pull on the cable. (Note that this is exactly the opposite of what you would expect.) In the latter case, I have to put a small block of wood underneath the lever so the hood stays unlocked and then I can pull it open at the front of the car. Currently I prefer this to having the hood pop up by itself while driving because that gets old very very soon.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833

frederik ... you need to peek in at how the pin is entering the latch ..... it needs to enter the center , both front to back and side to side... your symptom infers that it is not centered and hanging up when it would pop open all the way if it was centered.
    P.S. do that and then go back and read ed mayo direction on how to adjust.....

I adjusted the catch yesterday and the moving part now protrudes much further into the hole. That might stop the bonnet/frunk popping up. I can't test it at the moment as I have a few other winter projects going on, but as soon as it stops raining in the UK I'll go for a test on a bumpy road (which is pretty much any road in the UK). If that doesn't work then I will weld on some more metal and reshape it.

Paul

thats interesting ..... the pin goes in deeper and the shut lines are the same? I would think that means it is being "captured " properly.... good luck

Quote Originally Posted by bob joyce View Post
    frederik ... you need to peek in at how the pin is entering the latch ..... it needs to enter the center , both front to back and side to side... your symptom infers that it is not centered and hanging up when it would pop open all the way if it was centered.
    P.S. do that and then go back and read ed mayo direction on how to adjust.....
    Thanks for the tip but I already did that as best as I could (not easy to see though). I do feel that it’s not fully perpendicular relative to the latch but I would have to bend the pin plate to fix that and then realign.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    Member #3833

Try a couple of strips of clay laid onto the hole,( X pattern ) it will show definitively the position of the post in relationship to the latch
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Fredrik.... loosen the nut on the pin and with the hood opened all the way so that you can look directly at the pin as you screw it with a screw driver. .As it goes in and out it should "wobble" on its axis... If it wobbles a lot it is because the pin has been bent or the base of the pin is bent... that would give you a different angle going into the latch.

I unscrew the pin and then take off the spring and screw just the pin into the latch plate by only a few threads, then I pull the hood release cable and clamp it full open with a needle nose vice grip. Now I can lower the hood and see if the pin is centered into the hole, by using a light and mirror to see the exact entry point. When you think you have it centered you should be able to lower the hood and pin into the receptacle and NOT feel any resistance as it moves in and out indicating it is perfectly centered.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks for the additional tips, I didn’t think about the mirror and light! @Bob: it definitely wobbles, that is something to take into account.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    Member #3833

Having gotten my favorite toy back, with significant upgrades, I've been driving quite a bit, and...pulling what hair is left on my head out because of this hood latch issue...

As preface to the advice gathering, the latch has been set thrice by the good folks at Auto Associates, so some knowledge has been deployed (they set it after doing some body work, then shortened the male end for the spring tune, and then lengthened it when I needed to take the car back for other minor fixes).

Driving around, sometimes the hood pops open after a short bit of driving, sometimes I can drive 30 mins without it popping open. But on average for a 30 minute drive it is popping open about three times. Yes, I drive "spirited" and yes, the roads in NW CT are crappy, particularly in the spring. But it is still infuriating.

In any case, I followed Ed's advice on setting the latch. I think this is the problem - with all the pulling, this is how far I can get the latch to move toward the center. Is this insufficient?

Name:  IMG_5341.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  77.2 KB

It has gotten so bad I have resorted to the poor man's hold-downs.

Name:  IMG_5342.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  172.0 KB

It is a look. Maybe I should bite the bullet and get the rubber hold-down straps, though it is a bit incongruous with a targa.

Any advice is appreciated as Canton is a lovely, but lengthy drive for me and I do like to think of myself as self-sufficient...but this is driving me mad.

Also, how does one rotate the photos on a post (or do I need to do that on my PC first, and then upload?

Many thanks.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"