Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hood Latch Adjustment

Hood Latch Adjustment

My hood keeps coming unlatched at speed. It appears the adjustment is straightforward - loosen the adjustment nut, turn the catch pin for adjustment (clockwise in, counterclockwise out?), reset adjustment nut.

Is this correct? Any tricks or suggestions?

Thanks
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

The latch is designed to release the lid if the cable snaps. If you open the lid and operate the spring loaded latch, you will see that as the cable is pulled the latch appears to engage twice.

By trial-and-error you can adjust the cable until it releases the lid correctly. Take care to err on the side of having too much 'pull' on the latch. Too little risks having a lid that doesn't release at all when you pull the cable!

I hope this helps.

All the best

Chris

"The latch is designed to release the lid if the cable snaps"

CORRECTION: The latch is designed to release the lid if the cable snaps, but only far enough to allow it to be raised manually when one reaches under the front of the lid.

Cheers

Chris

Bob you need to check to make sure you have full outer latch release positioning. This is done with the adjustment screw and sliding the catch across the cable. Second you need to carefully check the parts, a catch release that has some wear and is not a 90 degree edge will cause to hood to release on a rough road. These release catches do where out so check it out.

Also the latch's action (both trunk and engine cover) gets pretty gummed up over the years...

What helps is spraying penetrating oil on the latch's action while pushing against it a few times until its snaps back under it's own spring tension when released ....

Hope this helps
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Quote Originally Posted by elfenbein
    The latch is designed to release the lid if the cable snaps. If you open the lid and operate the spring loaded latch, you will see that as the cable is pulled the latch appears to engage twice.

By trial-and-error you can adjust the cable until it releases the lid correctly. Take care to err on the side of having too much 'pull' on the latch. Too little risks having a lid that doesn't release at all when you pull the cable!
    As opposed to a full release, the issue seems to be full engagement with the latch pin.

Maximum latch/pin engagement occurs when the cable adjustment allows the latch to fully contact the pin. Move the spring-loaded cable adjuster back and forth while looking down into the latch/pin contact area. The latch will move in and out as the latch mechanism/cable moves. Lock the cable set screw so the resting position of the latch mechanism fully engages the latch pin.

Hope this helps,
    Sherwood

Thanks to all for suggestions. Will work on after the gift tornado hits tomorrow am, report back.

Merry Christmas to all.
    1973 911E - Viper Green

Latch Fixed

Got my hood latch fixed after freeing the action with WD40 (thanks Chuck) and adjusting the catch on the cable (thanks Jeff and Sherwood). 'Twas easy with your instructions.
    1973 911E - Viper Green

I have been having the same problem. I can get the hood to close but it is not tight enough. If I make it tight (shortern the hood latch) it either won't close or does not stay closed.

Replacement latches (upper and lower) are expensive. Can the cable be adjusted through the T-bar pull (the handle you pull to release the hood)? I had been making mine looser not knowing about the broken cable function.

Thanks,

Chris
    73 911 E

hood latch adjustment

I just wrote and attempted to post a page worth of directions, but it's lost, therefore this will be briefer. Loosen the set screw on the cable, insert a pin punch in the hole to the right of the hood pin hole, now pull cable towards passenger side while pushing latch towards driver side, tighten set screw, remove pin and check operation before closing hood. When cable is released sliding latch should cover half of hood post hole, when cable is pulled sliding latch should uncover hole.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.