Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice for potential owner

Need advice for potential owner

You are the experts and I need your advice. Does anyone here use his/her early 911 as a daily driver or at least a frequent driver? Is this a practical idea?

I drive a new 911(a 997)as a daily driver and as everyone here knows, it is a great reliable and fast car. It just does not have those special qualities of the early cars. I would gladly invest in an early car if it could be reasonably reliable and not leave me stranded or just sit in the shop all of the time.

If it makes a difference, I am able to perform basic repairs myself: tune up, brakes, electrical etc. I would have to have a shop deal with things such as clutch work, dropping the engine, fuel injection etc. I am willing to spend a substantial amount of time maintaining the car.

So, are these cars only for sunny days or can you live with them on a daily basis?

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Where do you live?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

I live in Seattle

Mark, from my experience these cars can be highly reliable, but keep in mind that these are older cars, with many well worn components. If you are willing to have a car completely rebuilt, then you should have zero problems - but that often is not practical.

I would recommend three things, buying the best car you can afford that has been meticulously maintained (must have repair receipts), buy the car only after a thorough PPI (Pre-purchase inspection) by a reputable shop who works regularly on early cars, and having the car maintained by the same type of shop - depending on where you live, the board members would be happy to point you in the right direction. Many here will gladly do a preliminary test drive and visual inspection for you if the car you find is not local.

Reliability comes at a cost. It just depends how much you want to spend.

Good luck on you quest.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Mark-
    Plenty of really good shops in your area, so that's not a problem. Also, you likely could survive without A/C. Rust, of course, is a big problem, and you'd have to insure that your car was well prepared for rain. Things like windshield seals and sunroof drains can be issues in older cars, as can the condition of undercoating after 35 years on the road. Little things may be an issue, as well. Do you feel the need to listen to the radio in the car? These things are not as quiet as your 997! I think an early car can be a daily driver, but only if the owner is really willing to adjust to the needs of the car, and not expect the reverse to happen.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Rick and Scott: Thanks for the information.

I'd worry about theft issues in Seattle - esp. on an E or S...

Theft issues? I had not thought about that.

LoJack and a kill switch would be a good idea - A locked parking garage at your work would be even better. If you live in Seattle proper - I would recommend John Walker's workshop (on Greenwood) for all you early 911 needs (PPI, service, major work). He is highly regarded, well known, and ethical.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Regis turd ab user
    A daily driver in the Seattle area, your car will get wet and funky, a lot.
    As mentioned weatherproofing a must.
    Are you commuting in peak hours? Early cars don't like to sit in traffic.

I'd love to drive my 71' more but those issues are keeping me from it and I would have to drop my collector insurance.
    David