Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front cooler line fitment question

Question Front cooler line fitment question

Will a 964 front cooler line setup from the thermostat to fender cooler retro fit to an early car?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Not really, remember the tub of a 964 is nothing like a 64-89 911 tub. Any of the pre 90 lines will work, the only fitment issue is in the front as it turns up the wheel well. The lines have a nasty curve to allow for the jack pad on late cars. Just buy them new.

Thats what I thought. thanx
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Joe, what are you doing for oil lines in the rear wheel area? I have a complete late factory setup (i.e., the lines for a 74 and later car) on my 71, but one of the lines rubs the tire (running 205/50-15s). I am looking for an elegant fix.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Tom,

Not sure which oil line's giving you heartachs... but this is what we did to one of the lines on my late coversion...

The hose was made by Orme Bros. industrial hose company...

Hope this helps...
    Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Nice looking set up, Chuck! It looks like the custom piece of your car is the braided steel flex line, but the hard lines are stock. I don't think that this would fix the problem, on my car. The problem that I'm having is that the passenger rear tire is rubbing on the upper hard line, forward of the rear axle centerline. The cause seems to be that the earlier cars like my 71 did not have the recess in the inner wheel house, which is where the hard lines on your car are nestled.
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

I added an arrow to Chuck's photo, showing where I get the tire rubbing.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Tom-
    I'm just finishing up an installation on my '70E. I'm using a soft line all the way from the sump to the thermostat. I found that I could not use a hard crossover line, as it conflicted with the boss on the gearbox that receives the clutch cable. I sourced two 90 degree fittings and 10 feet of hose from Elephant Racing. The hose leaves the fitting at the sump, travels up over the gearbox (just like the stock setup without front cooler), goes up where the oil tank meets the engine compartment wall, and arches high above the wheel and then down to the other 90. It seems that this should not interfere with the tire under any circumstances. It may be a little tight as the line bends near the fender strut/bottom of oil tank, but I don't think it is any worse than the alternative hard/soft line. I'll try to get pictures soon. In my case, I used nine feet of soft line. I'd source everything from Chuck if you go this route, as trying to piece everything together from local sources was impossible for me. Note that the fittings are 30mm, and require the late style, larger threaded insert for the sump.
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Thank you, Scott. Please post a photo or two, if it's not inconvenient. My car has a 3.0 liter, so a 30 mm fitting is already on the sump. Also, I think the hard cross over line seems to fit fine, on my car. If I could limit myself to 185/70-15 tires, I'd probably be fine, but what would I do with my 205/50-15 Hoosiers that I have for autocrossing?

Does anyone have a photo of the oil lines in the rear wheelhouse from a stock 69-71 with a front cooler? I'm trying to visualize it, without success.

P.S. Joe, sorry about taking this thread in a new direction. Should I be starting a new one for this?
    Tom F.
    Long Beach, CA

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Tom-
    Do you have a type 911 gearbox?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab