Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on these oil lines

Question Clarification on these oil lines

I saw these oil lines up on eBay and am interested as they claim to be from an early E.

oil lines

Since they don't look like the 74-88 lines, I figure they are the ones that go inside the rocker panel. Can anyone confirm this? I have seen posts that the whole underside of the vehicle needs to come apart to fit these up in. Affirmative?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Hi Joe,

They are "not" the 70/71 style oil lines that are fitted behind the RH sill. I have several of the 70/71 versions on 2.2Ss I am restoring so if you need any pics let me know.

HTH

Alan

The seller says they fit under the tub like the 74-88 lines. I checked over at ER and it would seem these lines would work for a car that originally had a front cooler and has the thermostat up by the oil tank. Otherwise one is better off w/the 74-89 lines. correct?
    Joe

--------
    '69 E Targa "Roxie"
    Early S #937

Joe...these lines look to be too short for the 70/71 type....the 70/71 lines have the hump over the jack post like 74up but are straight at the tank end...

clarification on oil lines

I'm with Alan, those are not 70-71 lines. They may have come off a 71 E, but they were a later install. The factory lines went through the rocker sill and exited in the front fender inner bulkhead area. These appear to be 87-88 lines, the one line has the slight loop where it turns up to go into the front fender to clear the lift pad peculiar to that model. The outer line also has the jog to clear the jack reciever, and the lines are turned up at the rear fender area to bolt into the thermostat that would be located in the front of the rear fender area. This is not to say you shouldn't buy them, they will work just fine for a subsequent cooler installation, it's just that they are not the through the rocker style of the 69-71 era cars. You couldn't install that style anyway without dissassembling the rocker structure, at least not that I'm aware of.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed is correct the only way to install the correct year oil lines for a 70/71 is to remove the outter sill. You would then also need to find the matching 70/71 thermostat and oil lines. It uses the same oil tank as all models for the 70/71 year.

Like these

Alan

Alan, I always enjoy seeing the pictures you post of your restorations, VERY nice work.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Great photo Alan, thanks. On a slightly separate issue, how do the 69E oil cooler lines differ from the 70/71 routing. I have an E that has an updated oil system (later model) without the cooler installed. The car runs pretty cool currently, but was considering installing an original style cooler system. What Ed mentions about the outer rocker needing to come apart kind of shoots that idea down, but I still want to know what the factory routing would be for that system. Do you have any of those great pics handy Alan?
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Scott, the oil line routing through the rockers was the same 69 thru 71. I don't recall ever seeing a factory front cooler set-up on an E in those years, although I don't know of any reason that it couldn't have been ordered that way. What do you mean when you say "updated system without the front cooler" I'm afraid I don't understand that one.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed...were there two different types of cooler lines used in the 71....I have a setup that I removed form a 71T that has the thermostat attached to the bottom of the oil tank and the lines were installed on the outside of the rockers and it had a steel trombone loop in the front right fender. It was definately installed at the factory this way....

Thanks...John